Ridiculous Job Offers / Demands!! - Page 57 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Closed Thread

Old November 23rd, 2006, 01:38 PM   #841
Trustee

For someone who has either an FX1, Z1u, XH-G1, or an FX7 or any other similar camera and never shoot before than $150.00 wouldn’t be so bad just as long as the Producer doesn’t complain about the quality, although they might be lucky to get a good High School student. As for having a Sony HDW-F900 with lights and XLR lavaliere microphones, it looks like the Producer is looking for someone who is either high or drunk. All I can say to the Producer is good luck.
Old November 24th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #842
Slash Rules!

awesomely retarded:

"Make Me A Star

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: job-239039543@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-11-23, 5:39PM CST

I'm looking for a camera man, web- designer, photographer, promoter, and a producer. I'm an aspiring actor, rapper, model, Celebrity and star. I'm not sure which one I wanna settle down in but I need to make something happen. If this sounds interesting hit me up asap. So we can discuss further details.

Compensation: Experience

Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.

Please, no phone calls about this job!

Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

"
Old November 24th, 2006, 05:10 PM   #843
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass
<snip>
<snip>

I'm sure the recruiters are busting down the door there buddy...
Old November 29th, 2006, 09:16 AM   #844
Slash Rules!

Another:

""Daily Show" ....Staff needed...
Reply to: gigs-241084569@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-11-28, 11:12AM CST

I have a bi-weekly 1 hour show on Cable Access. Currently, it is dry. Want to take it to the next level by adding entertainment value. Looking for a person who has that experience.

* It's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests"
Old November 29th, 2006, 06:19 PM   #845
Trustee

Quote:
Another:

""Daily Show" ....Staff needed...
Reply to: gigs-241084569@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-11-28, 11:12AM CST

I have a bi-weekly 1 hour show on Cable Access. Currently, it is dry. Want to take it to the next level by adding entertainment value. Looking for a person who has that experience.

* It's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests"
Man, those daily 1hr bi-weekly schedules are killing me! Never again!
Old November 29th, 2006, 08:25 PM   #846
Regular Crew

I'm seeing Way to much money talk...

I'm seeing Way to much money talk... on this thread... money money money. I'm a mid aged guy who threw away a succesfull carreer so I could change my address and make movies. I've spent and am spending lots of MY OWN money as a producer to create stuff I hope people will enjoy. Any profits that are taken in after production costs are re-filled I am very happy to pay back the crew and actors (It states this in my contracts also). However, I will ask Veteran crew members to work for free. Not because I want to Use and abuse them... it's because 1.) I am spending money for hotels, transportation, food, tapes, insurance... blah blah blah... and the movie would never be able to be made with Veteran pay scales and 2.) I want the best possible images. And as I said before... if the project makes a profit, everyone gets paid. There are two different players in this game... as most... those out there for the money... and those out there because they love it. I am always looking for those veterans who love it... they always make the best stuff... and it's just a natural process that the best stuff... makes money. Of course there are fellows out there who will try to use you... but, some of us really are just trying hard to produce somthing good!
Old November 30th, 2006, 06:05 AM   #847
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Downs
<snip>Of course there are fellows out there who will try to use you... but, some of us really are just trying hard to produce somthing good!
Carl, I hear ya, and I bet a lot of people on this board would work for a deferred (ie. probably never) pay rate. I'd certainly lend a hand on a quality project if my schedule permitted. But the want ads that we poke fun at here are just almost always absolutely ridiculously bad. Its easy to see that most of these "job" offers are nothing more than talentless individuals with no equipment or money that have some poorly conceived video project that they want everyone else to make for them.

I mean, seriously, $150/day for a camera operater with an F900? That's akin to "Needed: stunt driver with late model Porsche 911 Turbo. $150 a day". In that F900 ad, the guy didn't even try to convince the readers that there was a backend, or that it was a quality project that will better the world around us. He made it sound like you're lucky to get the project for that rate with your 100K camcorder (plus your light kit and broadcast mic). Oh, and he doesn't provide food.

Or this bi-weekly show thing. Looking at his ad I can only conclude that he somehow findangled his way into getting an hour of broadcast without actually having the ability to make an interesting show. So now he wants someone with talent to come make his show worth watching.

Like I said, I'm sure there are plenty of talented people on this board that would enjoy collaborating on a high quality project with like minded individuals, even if no profit were in sight. But these ads just don't fall into that category..

Just my 2 cents...
Old November 30th, 2006, 05:13 PM   #848
Major Player

Here is a real winner -

Reply to: trivialbrian@gmail.com
Date: 2006-11-29, 9:41PM CST

We are looking for a Camera op with their own equipment for a reality show being shot throught the month of dec to the new year.

Perfect for new filmmakers or seasoned.

Send letter of interest, or resume to

TrivialBrian@gmail.com

Thankyou

Brian D
Trivial Productions

Compensation: No pay...Great experience

Please, no phone calls about this job!

Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
Old December 5th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #849
Major Player

am i crazy or is this rediculous?

Found an interesting ad for an editor today, but upon reading the whole ad I notice the education/exp requirement of:

Quote:
Education and Work Experience
Bachelor's degree in television or film production, and or fine arts graphic design. Typically requires four to five years of graphic design and video editing experience with one to three years in electronic media design. Operates under general supervision.

The pay for the job is only $35k/year. To me, that is rediculous...that much education and experience for what amounts to about $15/hr.

Am I way off base here? Am I expecting too much (I am coming from an IT/programming background)?
Old December 5th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #850
Major Player

Lisa, you might be. I have a Master's Degree with over 10yrs of
production experience, and I work for a major university, and I make
just under that amount. it really sucks balls. If anyone wants to make
it in this business, they have to learn web dev.
Old December 5th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #851
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes
Lisa, you might be. I have a Master's Degree with over 10yrs of
production experience, and I work for a major university, and I make
just under that amount. it really sucks balls. If anyone wants to make
it in this business, they have to learn web dev.

I have to say that that sucks. When I was 19, still in college, I was making almost that amount as a web dev/programmer. 11 years later, I can't imagine going back to that. I think i'd have to get a second job. No wonder its so hard to change careers. I was thinking that the editing money vs. programmer money was close to equal.

Starting to get a little discouraged.
Old December 5th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #852
Major Player

Lisa, I think it depends on what part of the country you're in. $35k might go a lot farther in Toledo, Ohio, then it would in Las Vegas or LA. Experience is also a factor a lot of times in these ads and what they pay.
Old December 12th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #853
Slash Rules!

Another guy who doesn't even try:

"need help asap for indy cinema!! (Union Square)
Reply to: gigs-247738534@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-12-12, 4:08AM EST

Hello All! my name is sidney santanjello.
i will be preparing to a feature film produced,photographed,and directed by myself.i need all the help i can get.the only thing i can offer all who participate is some tasty pasta before shooting and red wine once a week. that is after all daily production is executed accordingly. for the day or night. filming will commence for exactly 28 days no breaks.the movie making proces is a rare privilege.and i sincerely hope all who volunteer their time and efforts enjoy the project at hand.

p.s. for any questions email: chessmogul@hotmail.com

Shall we spread the enthusiasm!

p.s.s. all footage will be shot in its entirety in the greatest city in the english speaking world Manhattan NY

* It's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
* Compensation: none-voluntary "
Old December 12th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #854
Major Player

Quote:
Another guy who doesn't even try:<snip>
Nonsense, its a rare privilege to get this kind of job. And hey, who doesn't have 28 consecutive spare days to trade for pasta.
Old December 12th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #855
Inner Circle

Quote:
.the only thing i can offer all who participate is some tasty pasta before shooting and red wine once a week. * Compensation: none-voluntary "
Is it good wine? Or is it like MD20/20?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business