Ridiculous Job Offers / Demands!! - Page 58 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Closed Thread

Old December 16th, 2006, 11:41 PM   #856
Trustee

Steve, I fail to see the difference...
Old December 17th, 2006, 04:47 PM   #857
Major Player

This One Is Worse than the $150/a Day Onee

Wow, at least the other guy (or gal) was paying:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...249644906.html

Quote:

Seeking a high end HD camera to shoot a 45 minute film
Reply to: gigs-249644906@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-12-15, 10:22PM EST

I'm looking for someone who owns a very high end $100,000 HD camera...like the one used to make Miami Vice. Go ahead and laugh... Where are you? My last film premiered at Fox Studios in LA and I'll be going on the road with U2 to shoot a doc in the near future but I don't exactly have the cash right now to buy my own HD camera. Do you have an itch to shoot a film?

* It's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
If I owned a Varicam or CineAlta, I'd have an itch to pay my monthly bills on it.

And to reply to an earlier poster about working for free...many of us do this. But only if we know the project is going to be worth our time. A lot of films want to make have absolutely no budget. No money for crew, no money for actors, and no money for production design, etc. Sorry, but it is very difficult to make a worthwhile fictional movie for no money. It can be pulled off, but the chances are about 1 in 1,000.

Most of us have a passion for this business. But we never forgot that it is still a business. People need to eat and have a roof under their heads. You can't do that without getting paid. Well...if you mooch off your parents/a roommate/a significant other you can but...I digress.

I was going to help on a shoot recently where the ad stated "possible employment if the show gets picked up." The idea sounded good, so I sent the producer an email. The story changed in the reply I got. Reading between the lines, it read: "If the show gets picked up, you'll get paid for your time for the pilot but more than likely won't be able to work on the rest of the series. Because the production companies we'll be shopping it to have their own crews. So thanks for letting us use your equipment to get our project off the ground, schmuck."

Those people were still looking for a volunteer 3 days before their shoot...and it got pushed back. They were still begging me to volunteer...I stood my ground. Had they offered guaranteed pay (maybe just $50.00 for gas or something) with guaranteed crew position if show got picked up, it would have been worth it.

That's the other thing. All of these producers seemingly wait until the last minute to gather their crew. What's up with that? On PAID shoots positions are booked way in advance. This leaves producers time to interview everyone (not just judge them based on who has the lowest day rate), discuss the project, get talent/crew to know each other, etc. Trying to assemble a large crew in such a short amount of time...if you don't already know people...is ridiculous IMHO.
Old December 19th, 2006, 05:22 PM   #858
Major Player

Sometimes it is last minute

Hey Adam,

I agree with you and everyone else, there are a lot of producers trying to make something happen with no incentive to pay crew, further someone's career, or anything. I've been a local producer since the mid 80's, and I rarely if ever ask a crew person, regardless of the position to cut their rate. It doesn't make good business sense as a producer.

And one of the benefits of treating your local video/film community with respect is when a client calls in an emergency (and it happens a lot), I have a big established loyal crew base built over a 20 year period to call on.

That's what these other idiot producers don't get.
Old January 4th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #859
Slash Rules!

Are these ridiculously low wages, or am I crazy? I made 6.25 hourly at f*cking starbucks when I worked there 9 years ago!

Photography- Makeup Artist- Sales Associates
Reply to: lauram@s121.com
Date: 2007-01-03, 4:30PM CST

Creative photographers for portrait photography, Sales consultants and Makeup Artists needed. Part time and full time positions avaliable. www.s121.com.

* Compensation: 5.00 per hour plus commission
* Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
* Please, no phone calls about this job!
* Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
Old January 4th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #860
Major Player

Ahhh.. you're not counting all that commission :)
Old January 10th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #861
Inner Circle

Well they provide with camera at least. You get $25 dollars per interview. Keep in mind each interview is 1 hour PLUS your travel time. Can you carry the backdrop by hand or do you need a car? What about lights? Thoughtful that they find provided backdrop more important than light kit.

With "leading" executives and lawyers, someone is making money but it's not you!

Film In-Person Interviews With Leading Executives & Lawyers

Reply to: job-260614853@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-01-10, 4:18PM EST

Executive seminar company seeks individual to conduct in-person interviews with leading executives and lawyers in Manhattan. Interviews last 1 hour, and interviewer would be provided with detailed interview questions to ask. Interviewer would be responsible for conducting the interview (and setting up the camera in the background to film it – which is very simple to do). Looking for someone who has a flexible schedule (during day time business hours) to accommodate schedules of the executives and can do at least 20-30 interviews a month (at an average of 1 hour an interview, plus your transportation time). All interviews are set up from Boston offices and you are provided with a date/time and camera for filming. Compensation is $25 an interview and a byline in the video credits. Interviewer would be trained on how to conduct interviews and do filming. Extremely interesting topics and ability to learn insights from top executives and lawyers. We are seeking someone who is extremely reliable and who can carry themselves professionally in front of the executives – no previous experience necessary. Position starts asap. Please email cover letter, resume and hours available.

Compensation: $25/Interview
Old January 10th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #862
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Reuter

That's the other thing. All of these producers seemingly wait until the last minute to gather their crew. What's up with that? On PAID shoots positions are booked way in advance. This leaves producers time to interview everyone (not just judge them based on who has the lowest day rate), discuss the project, get talent/crew to know each other, etc. Trying to assemble a large crew in such a short amount of time...if you don't already know people...is ridiculous IMHO.
That is something I hadn't noticed in alot of the 'rediculous' posts, but your absolutely right. I mean other than someone backing out last minute, all the legit (even nonpaying) work I've ever gotten had me booked at least a month in advance. Even right now I have potential projects I intend to produce on the horizon that don't even have a start date, and I have my ideal crew already in mind. As soon as I have a shooting schedule I contact them and book them, or if they are not available I'd have posts up...and we're talking months in advance. I can think of only one time I was ever contacted last minute...and it was by someone I had worked with in the past whose client had a last minute schedule change.

I don't know if the last minute scramble is simply the result of these types of producers inexperience, or the idea that they think they can pull a fast one on you because you won't have time to check them out before hand. I guess its mostly the first, because I don't think that most of these people have bad intentions...they just don't know what they are doing.
Old January 19th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #863
Inner Circle

This bothers me. TV show looking for EXPERIENCED run and gun shooters for $300 a day. I do better than that with my PD-170 shooting demo reels. If stranger still is if you look at the bottom under Compensation it says NO PAY.

Realty Camera Operator $300/day rate (Battery Park)

Reply to: gigs-265236108@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-01-19, 3:52PM EST

Seeking an experienced shooter/producer for a upcoming realty series. We need someone who can both shoot running gun while keeping focused on the action and focus on story line development. Ideal candidate will have outdoor experince. This a serious gig with pay, $300 day rate. There will be tarveling involved, up to a week at a time in the states. We are a British company shooting for UK TV. Please send cover letter and resume and a link to online work. We will not consider responses without a reel. Interviewing will start next week. Please be experienced!! Thank you

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Compensation: no pay
Old January 20th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #864
Trustee

I love this thread. It provides so much entertainment.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:08 AM   #865
Major Player

I remember making a joke along time ago that you wouldn't ask a carpenter to work for free, or for "copy and credit". Apparently, I underestimated some people. People will ask for anything for film.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
We are looking for mechanical/handy hands to help build a boat/junk raft which will be heavily featured in an upcoming Indpendent movie being made by award winning directors. The position is unpaid, but the position will be credited. The position is open to fulltime or parttime employees. If you are interested please contac XXX@xxx.com

* Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
* Please, no phone calls about this job!
* Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 08:23 PM   #866
Inner Circle

Things are really getting BAD

How's this for BAD. Sad, isn't it.

GET ME A JOB! I'll give you some cash! (Midtown)

Reply to: gigs-266847327@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-01-22, 8:03PM EST

Get me a Job and I'll give you $200 Cash! I am a DP with my own HVX200 HiDef Camcorder, I shoot, edit, etc... Lets do some buisness!
Old January 22nd, 2007, 08:41 PM   #867
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman
How's this for BAD. Sad, isn't it.

GET ME A JOB! I'll give you some cash! (Midtown)

Reply to: gigs-266847327@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-01-22, 8:03PM EST

Get me a Job and I'll give you $200 Cash! I am a DP with my own HVX200 HiDef Camcorder, I shoot, edit, etc... Lets do some buisness!
It may be evil of me...but damn I'd take that deal. Hell, I could get the guy 5 jobs if he's willing to pay me to shoot lol. He didn't really specify that it had to be paying jobs :0P
Old January 28th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #868
Regular Crew

Here's a laugh from Vegas:

"Small BIZ needs 30sec Commercial

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: gigs-269380475@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-01-27, 7:43PM PST

I have a small biz and need a 30sec commercial made. I would like the commercial to use several shots of various people hard at work (e.g. construction worker lifting something heavy, cop wrestling a suspect, hotel worker cleaning, delivery person, office woman hard at work, diff people doing various sports/outdoor activies such as water skiing, tennis, etc. All these scenes can be from archives (they do not need to be shot). After showing a few of these scenes, the commercial will say "Yoru work hard and play hard...you deserve a good...BLANK-BLANK" then followed by a scene of my business location.

The commercial will be submitted for airing on Fox. We'll pay the cost of showing the commercial of course.

Compensation: no pay "

I love this for 2 reasons:

1. There's no pay and they don't even offer a flimsy excuse as to why the hell you should do this for free (ie "for experience/build your reel"). They just assume we shoot/edit for laughs.

2. "We'l pay the cost of showing the comercial of course". I just found that stating of the obvious to be hilarious. Of course, at this rate we'll soon see on Craigslist where the clients not only expect us to shoot/edit for free, but maybe PAY THEM for the priveledge and kick in for the airtime to boot.
Old January 28th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #869
Inner Circle

I can just see the craigslist ad.

. . . . please be willing to pay for the spot time on Oprah or the Super Bowel. You will get great national exposure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mills

"Small BIZ needs 30sec Commercial

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: gigs-269380475@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-01-27, 7:43PM PST

I have a small biz and need a 30sec commercial made. I would like the commercial to use several shots of various people hard at work (e.g. construction worker lifting something heavy, cop wrestling a suspect, hotel worker cleaning, delivery person, office woman hard at work, diff people doing various sports/outdoor activies such as water skiing, tennis, etc. All these scenes can be from archives (they do not need to be shot). After showing a few of these scenes, the commercial will say "Yoru work hard and play hard...you deserve a good...BLANK-BLANK" then followed by a scene of my business location.

The commercial will be submitted for airing on Fox. We'll pay the cost of showing the commercial of course.

Compensation: no pay "

I love this for 2 reasons:

1. There's no pay and they don't even offer a flimsy excuse as to why the hell you should do this for free (ie "for experience/build your reel"). They just assume we shoot/edit for laughs.

2. "We'l pay the cost of showing the comercial of course". I just found that stating of the obvious to be hilarious. Of course, at this rate we'll soon see on Craigslist where the clients not only expect us to shoot/edit for free, but maybe PAY THEM for the priveledge and kick in for the airtime to boot.
Old January 29th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #870
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mills
Brian,

I look at CL at least once a day here and it seems that all the ads are that bad, or worse. I checked on a few during CES/AVN and they would pay $200/day IF you bring your own equip (boom mic and high-end cam), and they didn't provide you with a ticket to get into the show (that you are supose to be taping at).

People complain about the non-talent they get off CL (I've heard it first-hand), how the video turns out lousy, etc. Well, I just have to say that you get what you pay for. I know if I had hired $100/day talent, I wouldn't be expecting $500/day results.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business