Ridiculous Job Offers / Demands!! - Page 63 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Closed Thread

Old May 14th, 2007, 05:58 AM   #931
Inner Circle

Jay, there is much truth in what you write. A student spends 2-4 years learning After Effects, Avid, FCP, other software (all bought at student prices), maybe the school's 16mm film cameras, DV cameras. They were never taught Video Business 101 though.

Maybe they (or their parents) owe thousands in student loans, they're neck deep in dept having paid for their cameras and accessories and software (unless they're still using student copies or pirated), maybe moved away from home (living in a room in shared NYC apartments with very high rents in some cases) and NOT a CLUE how to get paid at least enough to cover all those costs. They are NOT people who have no clue how to shot or edit. They've had a few years of critical learning and judgement by teachers and peers.

While they may sink in mountain debt in a couple of years, there's a steady stream of graduates who've learned and own the latest state of the art gear working for NOTHING, NOT EVEN COST.

This kids are TALENTED, they have SOME EXPERIENCE, they own the LATEST GEAR.

It's no longer "work on my film" dreams but For Profit Businesses getting people to work for nothing. It's no longer "get what you pay for" for those businesses not willing to pay. The students do bear some of the blame as do the schools who don't teach fundamental business skills.

There's not much we can do about it directly but if some of them "google" and hit this thread maybe they'll learn a thing or three about business.
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
There's not much we can do about it directly but if some of them "google" and hit this thread maybe they'll learn a thing or three about business.
Again, I agree with everything you've said, Craig. It is very frustrating, to say the least. We are caught in a lose/lose situation. The sad thing is, the students don't realize that they are too and they are perpetuating the problem. The real sad thing is, they will soon be suffering the consequences tomorrow of what they're allowing themslves to be sucked into today.

I've never been too keen on unions, but it easy to see why and how they came about. This is a perfect example.

I lost a job last week--a 30-minute video for $500! I'm sure the guy will find some poor student to do it.
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:31 PM   #933
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperation

WILL TRADE BARTER MY SERVICES IN EXCHANGE FOR FUNDS,IF YOU DONT HAVE THE MONEY TO START OR FINISH YOUR FILM,YOUR VIDEO OR PROJECTS NEEDING A CAMERA OR CAMERAMAN,I WILL CONSIDER TAKING CARS,TRUCKS,MOTORCYLES,RV,COMPUTERS OR LAPTOPS IN EXCHANGE FOR SERVICES.

TO KNOW MORE ABOUT PRICING,RATES PLEASE LEAVE A MESSAGE OR CONTACT INFORMATION:
It seems like I've seen a post like this in this thread before.
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:02 PM   #934
Major Player

Just heard a horror story about a professional Asst Cam who's been in the industry (Hollywood TV commercials) for years. Absolutely not a beginner.

He was asked to do a spec commercial with a very famous actor (you'll know who the person is immediately) and so he said sure, if it's on spec.

He grabbed his friends, grips, electricians, etc., and they did the gig and it was all good.

The commercial airs, and it's still airing, so he calls up the producers and says, gee, I'm glad you sold the commercial... now what about the spec part of it?
The producers apparently looked at my friend and shrugged. "What spec??"

Now these are ongoing ad agency clients, mind you, not upstart companies to take advantage of inexperienced young folk. So now my friend can't say a thing because these guys are still passing him (full paying) work.

Wow. I couldn't believe it. Glad I got out of that trade when I did...
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:55 PM   #935
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Leong View Post

... He was asked to do a spec commercial with a very famous actor (you'll know who the person is immediately) and so he said sure, if it's on spec. ...
Could you have possibly been any more vague? I wasn't able to guess who the actor is because you didn't give ANY clues. So, WHO is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Leong View Post
... and so he said sure, if it's on spec. ...
WHAT? That's makes it sound like he said I won't work for money, but if it's on spec, sure!

That is a strange situation. Why would people that pay him all the time all of the sudden screw him over?
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:29 PM   #936
Major Player

Yeah, very strange. I can't really tell you on the board who the actor is.

He said yes because the producers had been above board when they asked him to do the "spec" job.

What I mean by "sure, if it's a spec job" is that they offered him little or no money and he would normally turn that job down, but if it was on spec (for everybody involved, including for the producers) then he was in for helping the team out.

Apparently they meant spec for him and his crew, but not for themselves. And they didn't think they were screwing anybody over at all.

That's a new interpretation of the word, as far as I'm concerned.
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:04 PM   #937
Regular Crew

That's right up there with Craig's List employers. If someone had flat out lied to me like that, it would not go unmentioned and I might be taking pocession of someone's property. However, if the person or agency that did that to me gave me alot of work, I might keep my mouth closed that ONE time but would never do them a favor again. The ironic twist to not doing them another favor might mean that they would find someone else and give them all of the future paid work. There's a special place for people that do that to others.
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:52 PM   #938
Major Player

Amen to that.
Old May 25th, 2007, 10:56 AM   #939
Slash Rules!

"Director’s Competition sponsored by Cagesafe Productions
Reply to: see below
Date: 2007-05-25, 9:18AM CDT

Director’s Competition sponsored by Cagesafe Productions

www.cagesafeproductions.com

Cagesafe Productions presents its first Director’s competition. Submit your reel exhibiting your ability to drive character and story and you can live in New Orleans and be the next hardly paid over-worked director of an independent feature film.

We are looking for someone that approaches film as a form of art. Submit your reels.

Entry fee: $55.00
Winner will direct a low budget Independent feature.

Go to www.cagesafeproductions.com for more information.

Thanks and Good Luck!

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
* Compensation: no pay "
Old May 25th, 2007, 11:08 AM   #940
Regular Crew

Yep, they posted the same thing in Atlanta so it must be everywhere. Someone already slammed them on our board too. They made a good point though. Not only will you more than likely never get anything for your entry fee but that's a good way for them to raise funds for their projects and gear and then disappear. Just take a little from alot of people! As that commercial says, brilliant!
Old May 25th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #941
Inner Circle

So you need to know Adobe Premiere, DVD Studio Pro and Final Cut Pro and you get . . . $12.50/hr. BTW they PREFER EXPERIENCE in advertising related production.

Videotape Editor: Tape Dubbing & Duplication

Reply to: job-338229586@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-05-25, 2:28PM EDT

We are a rapidly growing market research company that specializes in advertising tracking. Clients include many of the leading ad agencies and Fortune 500 companies.

We monitor advertising across a wide range of television and print media. Subscribers receive reports summarizing competitive ad spending. A full range of creative materials is available through our website.

Opening exists for a VIDEO EDITOR in our Tape Dubbing and Duplication Department.

This is position is responsible for DAILY TAPE PRODUCTION.

Qualifications:

Experience with linear and non-linear video production.

Computer skills: Digital video production and editing, digital image production and editing. REQUIRED: Adobe Premiere, DVD Studio Pro,Mac OSX. and Final Cut Pro

High standards of customer service and excellent communication skills.

Experience in an advertising-related production position preferred.

NIGHTS: Mon-Fri, 1 pm - 9 pm. (Must be available to train 9 am - 5 pm for the first few weeks.)

Pay: $12.50 per hour. We offer a full range of benefits and a casual work environment.

EMail with Video Edit in subject line of e-mail.
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #942
Regular Crew

The old reverse psychology trick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only the Best
HORROR MOVIE STILL CREWING! WE WANT ATLANTA'S BEST!

We are crewing one of the scariest horror movies that will ever be
made. IS THERE ANY REAL TALENT IN THIS CITY OR MUST WE SCOUT IN LA OR
NEW YORK. READY TO HIRE A DP TODAY, FIRST AD, PA'S, SPECIAL EFFECTS
MAKE UP, GRIPS, AUDIO AND INTERNS, ETC.. WE ARE PAYING FOR KEY
POSITIONS.

If you're serious about your career and you want to be part of project
tha's going to blow up, contact us immediately.
We are definitely shooting this summer. Starting July 13th.

Some crew positions are still open also. PROFESSIONALS ONLY! WHO's THE
BEST IN THIS CITY for HORROR, we're looking for you!

FOR ALL POSITIONS EMAIL US BY MAY 30, 2007 BY 12 pm for interview
scheduling
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:05 AM   #943
Inner Circle

He wants all this for $250!!!!!!!!!!!
BTW it seems AWFULLY suspicious when they state they want to upload YOUR PORTFOLIO to THEIR video management platform!

Videographer Needed

Reply to: job-341978204@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-05-31, 12:25PM EDT

Denver-based software and video services company looking for:
* Videographer for one day, to shoot two 30-second promotional online videos for website of New York-based client.
* 5-year minimum experience producing video for corporate marketing, PR, entertainment or training purposes
* Provide resume and portfolio of relevant work -- DVD, URL, or FLV to be uploaded to our video management platform.
* Use own professional quality equipment, including DVCAM camera, complete lighting kit, and lavaliere and/or boom microphone.
* Ability to follow a detailed script and shot list unsupervised to deliver the required footage.
* Video format: DVCAM.
* All equipment must be owned and insured by you.
* You must supply master DVCAM Tape of assigned work.

Compensation: $250.00
Old June 1st, 2007, 02:52 PM   #944
Slash Rules!

This is pretty retarded. Who owns teleprompter gear except for pro teleprompter operators? Don't those rigs cost thousands of dollars? And you're supposed to shoot and prompt simultaneously?

"Looking for videographer
Reply to: job-342702228@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-06-01, 11:50AM CDT

Need a videographer to shoot short (less than 1 min) video profiles/interviews on location across Houston. Must have production quality camera, 3 piece light kit, tripod, teleprompter and laptop (to feed teleprompter). To be done on wed-fri in late mornings/early afternoons. This may be perfect job for wedding videographers looking to expand your business. We possibly would be willing to supply teleprompter as trade off for first couple jobs. This is not a one time job, we need someone to be on call to shoot on location when needed. No editing, just snail mail us the raw video. If you have the equipment and feel like you could do some basic directing, call us. (713)922-8032

* Compensation: 150.00-450.00 per job (depending on number of interviews shot, 1-6 people)
* This is a part-time job.
* Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
* Phone calls about this job are ok.
* Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests."
Old June 2nd, 2007, 07:12 AM   #945
Inner Circle

Josh, actually there are some decent teleprompter kits that'll go on the front end of a typical 1/3" camera that are around $1000 (not including laptop).

This one is about $1600 but I've seen them in the video trade magazines for less

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...prompter_.html

Here's one for under $700
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mpter_Kit.html

Still the price for the job may be low though. Given the gear, set up, some travel time, no one can make money at $150 and even $450 is still on the low side if you're booking a half day minimum with that gear.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business