Ridiculous Job Offers / Demands!! - Page 64 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 3rd, 2007, 11:37 AM   #946
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 178
There's not much you can do about most of these ridiculous offers, but one thing you can do is flag on Craigs List. Any ad placed under the "Television/Radio Jobs" heading must carry with it an offer of payment. Spec, deferred, "get experience" is not allowed. If there were enough people flagging, those ads would get closed down. Its not much, but its one thing you can do. I check my local Craigs List and always flag job ads that don't offer payment.
Bert Smyth is offline  
Old June 4th, 2007, 01:49 AM   #947
Trustee
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
The old reverse psychology trick!
HA! I think i know the DP and The Key Grip on this shoot. I've got to find this post. I think it's a 30k project they're shooting on the varicam!
__________________
I have a dream that one day canon will release a 35mm ef to xl adapter and I'll have iris control and a 35mm dof of all my ef lenses, and it will be awesome...
Nick Hiltgen is offline  
Old June 4th, 2007, 04:45 AM   #948
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 32
my favorite ads go something like this:


Well known and award winning studio now looking for Camera person, Lighting person, Sound man, Director and actors for a movie already going to several festivals including Tribeca!

Join our emmy award winning team and get ready to make a great movie!

Pay is deferred but you'll get copy and credit of course!
GREAT for new actors and actresses as we will be putting this on imdb.com!



Must own all of your own equipment!

moviestudio10056@hotmail.com

You find a website for them, it's on geocities, it looks like crap and all it talks about is the $50 fee to turn in a headshot for acting for their "movie"


Yep.
Dave Carson is offline  
Old June 7th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #949
Slash Rules!
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 4,723
Camera-person to film documentary
Reply to: info@trehmusic.com
Date: 2007-06-06, 11:23AM CDT


Seeking individual with digital video camera to film documentary style two individuals for 8 weeks (Through August 12th) as they study and take the Texas Bar Exam. The footage maybe used at a later date as a pilot for a reality show. Previous filming experience desired but not required. Shooting will consist of 3-4 days each week (days of the week and times are flexible) Pay is a flat fee of $300. This is a great way to gain additional filming experience and participation in the pilot or series if the show is later picked up and produced. We are looking to begin filming immediately. Please contact Marie at 713-376-3975, or email inquires to info@trehmusic.com.




* Location: Houston near Downtown
* Compensation: Pay is a flat fee of $300.
* Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
* Phone calls about this job are ok.
* Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
Josh Bass is offline  
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #950
Trustee
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Suwanee, GA
Posts: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
Camera-person to film documentary
Reply to: info@trehmusic.com
Date: 2007-06-06, 11:23AM CDT


Seeking individual with digital video camera to film documentary style two individuals for 8 weeks (Through August 12th) as they study and take the Texas Bar Exam. The footage maybe used at a later date as a pilot for a reality show. Previous filming experience desired but not required. Shooting will consist of 3-4 days each week (days of the week and times are flexible) Pay is a flat fee of $300. This is a great way to gain additional filming experience and participation in the pilot or series if the show is later picked up and produced. We are looking to begin filming immediately. Please contact Marie at 713-376-3975, or email inquires to info@trehmusic.com.




* Location: Houston near Downtown
* Compensation: Pay is a flat fee of $300.
* Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
* Phone calls about this job are ok.
* Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
3 days a week, 8 hours, 8 weeks. < $2 an hour. Even if it was 4 hours, it would still be under $4. You would think someone working with the legal field might know about federal law at a minimum.
George Ellis is offline  
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:32 AM   #951
Slash Rules!
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 4,723
that law must not apply in all situations, otherwise, how could people ask others to work for free?
Josh Bass is offline  
Old June 8th, 2007, 02:21 AM   #952
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
that law must not apply in all situations, otherwise, how could people ask others to work for free?
If what I heard was correct, years ago our local cable office had to start paying its interns something because of labor laws.
James Emory is offline  
Old June 8th, 2007, 03:14 AM   #953
Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: New England
Posts: 68
I'm shooting a low budget feature next month. We're paying very little but I'm upfront with everyone about it. What money we have is going for equipment, food, insurance and locations. I haven't placed an ad on Craiglist, I don't need to, but I don't think this kind of offer is insulting. For most it is just a tradeoff, low or no pay for experience. I do also get experienced people who work on corporate videos or industrial films willing to take a shot with me because they want to make the leap to narratives.
Chris Ward is offline  
Old June 8th, 2007, 03:25 AM   #954
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ward View Post
... I haven't placed an ad on Craiglist, I don't need to, but I don't think this kind of offer is insulting.
I would agree that you are one of the honest ones that isn't demanding or misleading and acting like you are the messiah of the industry. You must not have read this entire thread because it's been stated several times that we are aware of the honest people but unfortunately there are more people wanting something for nothing for projects that will go nowhere overshadowing the reasonable posts. Just take a look at Craig's List at any given time. It's absolutely ridiculous! Here is a recent post that accurately describes what's going on.
James Emory is offline  
Old June 8th, 2007, 03:51 AM   #955
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 1,892
This is a perfect example of the problem. These people have no idea what they're getting involved with. They are asking a total stranger to provide about $50K-$60K of gear and they don't have a clue about what they are doing! The film alone will cost more than they could ever imagine! Maybe they could get Kodak or Fuji to give them $20K worth of film too. Just another group that thinks their project is IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE CADETS
We are engaging in the production of low budget feature film. All the aspects of production is secured exept a camera person.
We are looking for someone who has 35mm film camera, and posibly some other relevant equipment, such as lenses, light. For this project we would need someone with experience,(does not have to be vast experience) who can make the film happen.
According to our reserch and arangements that we make we believe that this production will be a great step stone for a great potential growth, both for us and for people associated with the film.
If you have an interest and camera please reply at:
James Emory is offline  
Old June 12th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #956
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 1,892
I think they just changed the definition of PA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOO DEMANDING
Production Assistant needed for 1 or 2 days of scouting for new real estate show. Must have mini DV cam, tape stock and reliable automobile. Must be good with people and able to conduct interviews. Scouting will require driving from location to location within a 30 mile radius of Atlanta. Production company will pay mileage, any tolls and tape stock fee.

Possible dates needed: Sat. June16th/ Saturday June 23rd

Compensation: $150/day
James Emory is offline  
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #957
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 126
Craigslist people are already trying to PAY us like PAs, now I guess they figure they might as well CALL us PAs!
Brian Mills is offline  
Old June 21st, 2007, 06:31 PM   #958
New Boot
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 22
HD cameraman wanted

Reply to: gigs-357160581@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-06-21, 11:30AM PDT


We are looking for somene with a high end HD camera to shoot our feature film. We really want someone with some hollywood experiance or really good skills in movie making. We will buy the tapes for the camera. You will receive our thanks, and we will buy you a beer once the filming is done.


Location: se
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Compensation: no pay
Tim Kahn is offline  
Old June 21st, 2007, 10:20 PM   #959
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kahn View Post
HD cameraman wanted

Reply to: gigs-357160581@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-06-21, 11:30AM PDT


We are looking for somene with a high end HD camera to shoot our feature film. We really want someone with some hollywood experiance or really good skills in movie making. We will buy the tapes for the camera. You will receive our thanks, and we will buy you a beer once the filming is done.


Location: se
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Compensation: no pay

Dear god in heaven, surely that one is someone's idea of a joke...

But then again, having read the rest of this thread...
PJ Gallagher is offline  
Old June 21st, 2007, 11:35 PM   #960
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kahn View Post
we will buy you a beer once the filming is done.

Compensation: no pay
Beer counts as money in Portland...
Bill Zens is offline  
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:14 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network