Advice to Student Filmmakers -- Do Not Follow The Rules! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old April 27th, 2005, 11:01 AM   #46
Air China Pilot

That was brilliant, Dylan. But you must be an old bitter fogie who is just takin' it out on those rebels who would be the next Tarantinos if only they could get past your class.

Quote:
Godard almost said it best: "all you need for a film is a girl and a gun", but although the first half of his name IS "God" he was wrong on this, as he should have said "All you need for a film is a girl OR a gun". However if choosing the "girl" route, do make sure that she is beaten/raped/murdered by the end of the film.
This is my favourite and also the most depressing. When you have a forty-year old director yelling for "more titties" you wonder just why you are on set if not satisfying some immature fantasy.
Old April 27th, 2005, 11:03 AM   #47
Major Player

Dylan,

I think you've got the perfect script for a documentary on student filmmaking.

But don't be surprised when you find someone quoting you on proper filmmaking. <bg> You obviously have too much time on your hands. <g>
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 11:11 AM   #48
MPS Digital Studios

I had one student who never focused and, though we allow people final cut, when everyone, students, teachers and regular people, told the student to cut the film from 30 minutes to at least 20, the student scoffed.

heath
Old April 27th, 2005, 11:40 PM   #49
Regular Crew

ive never followed a formula to makeing short films. i usually just go with whatever looks good to me.
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 02:44 AM   #50
Major Player

I aint bitter, more annoyed, and too frequently disappointed. I'm 33 so not a fogey yet and I do have very good students too. I'd be proud for my class to produce the next Tarantino - hell, I'd be happy with the the next Raja Gosnell!

I'm happy for students to "break the rules", I'm just annoyed when they don't care about what they film. especially those that have CHOSEN to do video production.

The "woman being attacked" one is pretty depressing, as every time a group suggests this storyline, they start by saying "We've decided to do something a bit different" and then outline the same cliches: girl wandering home alone, the attacker's POV, girl runs away, finds somewhere safe, and just when she thinks she's got away the attacker catches her. Why can't my students aspire to break THAT narrative convention!

"Breaking rules" is great if you want to create something daring and innovative, but not when it's out of out of laziness and lack of imagination.

The main problem I have with the title for this thread is it's a negative statement mascarading as a positive one, and it's essentially meaningless and empty.

How about if the title was "Advice to Student Filmmakers -- Do something different: creative, original and unexpected".

Nevin, I see your problem and it may be a valid one, but frankly if that's the way you're assessed then you have poor teachers. I do NOT assess lighting (for example) on personal taste. I dislike that high gloss, Advertising/Michael-Bay-film cinematography, but if a student managed to replicate that style for a project, he or she would get very good marks because it demonstrates particular skill, but also taken into account is the amount of planning or preparation a student does. You get marks for lots of research, (ploughing through copies of American Cinematographer, or the many good books on film/video lighting), preparation, doing tests, working out an appropriate look for the film, finding photos and paintings as references, etc.

In the end it's irrelevent because if the students do really good work, they'll have great showreels and practical experience, and they'll realise the good/bad grades they got aren't so important, and they'll find people in the professional world are so much more subjective and judgemental than their teachers ever were.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 07:14 AM   #51
Regular Crew

Well, that made my day. I just had a chance to read your synopsis of the student film making handbook, Dylan, and well I almost crapped my self. That was great.

I enjoy the fact that you single handedly pointed out most, if not everything, that pisses me off about people.

Though, after reading that, it got me thinking more carefully about this topic.
When push comes to shove, what are great movies? (films, documentaries, whatever you want to call them...)

You've got your titanics and other cult classics, blah blah blah, but i'd like to know what most of you all concider great movies "great movies," and why?

I'm sure it will offer a great introspective view of this topic it self, and how things are so subjective.

So, what's your favorite movie and why?

Thanks,

Nevin

p.s. if this is the wrong forum for this... oops
Old April 28th, 2005, 08:23 AM   #52
Air China Pilot

Nevin, that's probably worth a different thread.
Old April 30th, 2005, 04:16 AM   #53
RED Code Chef

There already is a favorite movie thread on this board:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=35751

And a thread about inspiration:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=16013

And a favorite trailers thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=39119

Please contribute to those instead of in this thread or starting a new one. Thanks!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 10:04 AM   #54
MPS Digital Studios

Thanks, Rob (and your 10,000 posts).

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production