DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   how to thicken stage blood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/101531-how-thicken-stage-blood.html)

Nathan Quattrini August 17th, 2007 10:43 AM

how to thicken stage blood

The stuff you buy at halloween shops, its very watery. How can I thicken it? I know adding blue food coloring helps the color, but i need it to thicken up without being super sticky like corn syrup

John Miller August 17th, 2007 10:49 AM

Corn starch?

Lisa Shofner August 17th, 2007 11:32 AM

I think a small amount of gelatin would thicken it also. but i haven't tried this, it is just a theory.

Cole McDonald August 17th, 2007 01:04 PM

cornstarch is what i use, it also adds some opaqueness to it.

Paul Izbicki August 17th, 2007 03:18 PM

Glycerine used to be popular as tears and thickener. Dunno if that's still the case.

iPaul

Andy Graham August 18th, 2007 02:55 AM

washing up liquid and some red food coloring is very realistic, the food coloring can stain your skin a bit so have baby wipes handy.

Richard Alvarez August 18th, 2007 07:00 AM

Using Corn Syrup (Kayro is a popular brand) Add red and a drop of blue. If it's too thick, add a bit of water, shake and test. Keep adding water untill it's thin enough. Adding corn starch, cocoa powder and 'peanut butter' for chunks if it's in the mouth... can work but it's nasty.

Using baby shampoo works on clothing, with the additional plus that it 'foams' over chest wounds, more realistic.

I've used these solutions for more than twenty years of stage combat experience. It works just fine.

Gabriel Yeager August 18th, 2007 09:13 AM

Cornstarch is the way to go if you just want to thicken it. I prefer to make my own. Its simple, entertaining, and you get the exact results you want. But for what you asked, cornstarch is how you are going to want to go about this.

Good luck,
~Gabriel

Nathan Quattrini August 18th, 2007 08:46 PM

ahh corn starch...now will that make it stick? There are parts where i`ll use the Karo...but some stuff we don`t want it sticky like when they have to hit each other after the blood is applied...with Karo that just makes a mess like little kids and lollypops....we need smearable blood that can just be reapplied every take. Does that make sense?

Richard Alvarez August 18th, 2007 09:43 PM

Nathan

Spend five dollars. Buy a bottle of Karo and food coloring. Mix it up in a measuring cup. ADD A LITTLE WATER - test it out untill you get the mixture viscosity that you like.

Personally, I like a mixture of about one third water... I think that's closest to real blood on the skin... but some people think it's too thin. So it's really a matter of trial and error till you get what YOU like.

You're just going to have to experiment... enjoy the creativity.