Don't have a Steadicam...what are you using? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old September 11th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #1
Major Player

Don't have a Steadicam...what are you using?

What other options are available? I don't have a steadicam for HD100U...what are you using?

Thank you
Lisa
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 11:44 PM   #2
Trustee

I use a monopod with a crossbar with a one-pound lead weight at each end. The crossbar goes at the bottom of the first monopod section. This causes three points of mass (the camera is the third) in space which acts like a 3d tripod with inertia acting as the stabilization instead of three feet. It is easy to find the center of gravity. I hold it at, or just barely above the center of gravity. This keeps the monopod level and the mass dampens quick movement. The crossbar should be about two feet long. I am going to build MK II of my stabilizer soon as I don't like certain features of the first one and it is getting beat up after several years of service. I'll post pictures of the second generation once it's done.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault View Post
I'll post pictures of the second generation once it's done.

Any updates/pictures? :)
Old November 11th, 2007, 05:42 AM   #4
Inner Circle

since HD100U is a shoulder cam , you should not need anything like a stabilizer.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 05:56 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Giroud

I think it rather depends on the shots you want - I'm not sure Garrett Brown (inventor of steadicam) would agree that a shoulder-monuted camera was a substitute for a stabiliser ;-)

All the best

Graham
Graham Risdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 06:05 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I have a spider brace and that is awesome but in no way a substitute for a stabiliser. I do have a stabiliser though...I brought a u-flycam from india and i can't get it to balance for life!
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #7
Inner Circle

i got a home made shoulder mount, a glidecam V-16, a turtle-x (marzpack).
frankly if i need to have steady shot while keeping good mobility, the best is still the shoulder mount , except if you have to run in the field.
I found the glidecam to be a great tool , except it is so restricted in use (especially in crowded places) that i really need a good excuse to get it out of the bag.
Since our friends does not specifiy the conditions, it is difficult to advise...
sometimes a simple rope is ok to make a good travelling
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I'm not sure if the make it for the HD100/200 series but I have and used a Varizoom ENGPro stabilizer for my full size cameras. It is NOT a subsistute for a steadicam but will do a couple of things. 1) It takes the weight of the front of the camera off the wrists and arms and especially the 100 series which in my book even with an IDX battery and a wireless receiver is a bit too front weighted so the arms are pushing up instead of either pulling down OR holding nuetral. The 2nd thing the ENGPro does is with some practice, it allows you to do walking shots with out the annoying side to side camera movement.
Now like I said it is NOT a replacement nor a subsistute for a Steadicam and practice but if all you need is something to help you hold steady and help with weight distribution then it's a great tool. BTW, it's made by our very own Danny Natovich who makes the DVMultirig (I got that too for my small cams) also a great tool also not a replacement for a steadicam.
Whatever tool you choose will depend on what your requirements are. If you need something just to hold steady with then the ENGPro could be the solution but if you need somethingt to do walking running gliding shots with -then some form of steadicam is needed. Whatever you choose, you gotta PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE then PRACTICE somemore to get it down pat.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:47 PM   #9
New Boot

I use a tripod that has a handle attached to one of the legs. I collapse it and use the leg handle, and then the tripod head handle along with weights on the bottom. It works rather nice, but the most important part is learning how to use it correctly.
Jack Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 11:08 PM   #10
Major Player

I also have the flycam and was able to balance it but what I don't like is the plate that attaches to the cam and the top of the flycam. It takes 4 thumb screws to hold it so swapping between it and a tripod would be a hassle. I haven't used it in a wedding yet but have been practicing with it and plan on using it within the next couple of months.
Lalo Alvidrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #11
Major Player

I have been trying out a few stabalisers including the $14 steadicam and have recently made a 'figrig' style stabiliser for my HDRFX1.

I am still practising in an effort to get some smooth motion but have to say that it really does help camr stability etc.

heres the pix
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sendsouth/

I adapted a DIY version I saw for a smaller cam to suit the larger/heavier sony. Easy to make and effective

cheers

Jamie
Jamie Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalo Alvidrez View Post
I also have the flycam and was able to balance it but what I don't like is the plate that attaches to the cam and the top of the flycam. It takes 4 thumb screws to hold it so swapping between it and a tripod would be a hassle. I haven't used it in a wedding yet but have been practicing with it and plan on using it within the next couple of months.
You can get a quick release plate that matches your tripod's head, and attach it between the camera and the base plate.
Sergio Barbosa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production