Another Film Look Secret at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old June 3rd, 2003, 01:06 PM   #1
Trustee

Another Film Look Secret

This forum is fantastic. I feel the need to contribute three items.

1) I believe I have found a "frame like" mode on the Sony DCR TRV-20. You can use this "feature" if your Sony video camera has what is called "flash" mode (I think it's in the picture effect section). Stick your camera in "flash" mode and set it to the very first click. That's it. The frame stutters slightly in the same way film moves. I apologize if this idea has already been submitted.

2) A local filmmaker screened his digital 8 movie (shot with a Sony Handycam) at our local multiplex. I'm talking he projected it with the video source from the projection booth on a huge screen in a stadium sized theatre. It came out beautifully! Has anybody else tried this with equally amazing results? Read all about it at www.Steelspirit.com.

3) Finally, as an independent filmmaker, realizing all of the affordable tools at our fingertips, I have completely lost my burning desire to break into the Hollywood club. Working independently from the big boys allows more freedom, more creativity and more interesting projects. I believe that the movie going public is tiring of the big budget cookie cutters and yearns for more character driven, smaller, independent projects shot by enthusiastic peope like us in these forums. If, as a group, we banded together, along with our tools, equipment and collective know how, we could make and show our projects at our local movie houses just like the fella mentioned above. And I believe our digital projects will rival, and even surpass, anything Hollywood churns out.

Waddaya think?
Hugh DiMauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2003, 01:41 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hugh, welcome!

Indeed, independent films have a lot more to offer than most of Hollywood's "recipes-for-success" do. Needless to say, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being successful or making money. IMO, though, the truth and the matter is that the majority of the big-budget Studio movies have nothing new to say or show.

Hugh, enjoy the "independent" ride!

Stylianos Moschapidakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2003, 02:41 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks for my very first reply. It's pretty interesting that I would be more interested in seeing a film made by somebody like me than by Universal (unless the subject matter is unavoidably interesting or Gene Hackman stars in it). In any case, I took great inspiration in seeing a normal, everyday fellow make a digital movie and play it at the same theatre in which I watch Hollywood blockbusters! He even charged $7.00 a head!
Hugh DiMauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2003, 04:04 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hugh,
You might want to look into the MicroCinema movement. These are small, indy arthouses that often show digital indy projects. Here in Houston, there are at least three of them. One, The Aurora Picture Show, is just down the street from me.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2003, 06:01 AM   #5
Trustee

Micro Cinema movement

Dear Rich:
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, my area hosts nor boasts of such a movement because it isn't a very "artsy" area. I suppose the situation is ripe for me to start something like this. I will look into the matter further. Sounds like that is just what my town needs!
Hugh DiMauro is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production