Camera on a $300 Budget - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old October 10th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Bill. The ZR800 is $199.99 at Amazon, that was my deciding factor.
Steven. Right now I'm going for a brand new camera.
Thanks everybody.
Joshua Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #17
Major Player

Joshua,

would love to hear your review once you get it. I have a specific need here and after reading some reviews not sure if the ZR800 will do the job.

the mic input is a great feature (and one that shoudl be on every camcorder) but the poor low light ability and more importantly the purported motor noise interfering with the onboard mic pick up might kill it for me.

I need to get a few "foolproof" camcorders for some of our officers to tape scenarios. simply put, officers approach a home, interact with the occupants, deal with various sitiations like low light, noise (boombox etc) and its taped. It is later reviewed looking at it from various perspectives on how they dealt with the public and how they dealt with safety concerns. (these occupants are not the upper crust of society if you get my drift.)

So, they will need decent low light performance(granted at this pricepoint that is only going to be "so good") and be able to pick up the audio. If their dealings with the occupants are drown out by motor noise, well its a waste of time.

I think I need to get my hands on some of these things and see how they perform. Look forward to your review
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #18
Regular Crew

As soon as I purchase one of these it is going straight into filming a short, so I will put it through its paces. The review I can't guerantee till December or January because I am not sure when I am finally getting one. Motor noise is definitly bad. Low-light capability was not one of my requirments, but I will check it out, as some of our locations are very dark or filmed at night. Onboard mic i am never to thrilled with on any camcorder, but the Sony DCR-HC28 Handycam had a semi-decent one, and decent to good low-light. Reason I am going with the Canon is the shutter speed and the widescreen options, and a decent picture.
Joshua Fernandez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production