DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Film Look attempt from a newbie, what do you think? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/105209-film-look-attempt-newbie-what-do-you-think.html)

Voitek Nosovski October 8th, 2007 04:56 AM

Film Look attempt from a newbie, what do you think?

Hey

I recently bought SOny Hdr-HC1 with a hope to capture some moments from my life and achieving this cinematic film look. I dont have a 35mm adapter yet but i think the colors i managed to achieve are quite good and film-like. Im a complete amateur, never had a camcorder or editing program before. I edited and cc`d it in Sony Vegas.
Please let me know what you think!

download 30sec clip at:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ji8mu1

Nate Benson October 9th, 2007 03:37 PM

Looks pretty good? I sense from the images you took that you have some sort of art background? if not then even better. Overall the footage looks pretty solid. Nice work.

Warren Kawamoto October 9th, 2007 05:45 PM

Good job in achieving your film look!

Marcus Marchesseault October 10th, 2007 02:28 AM

Those little CMOS HDV cameras do an outstanding job for the price. As you know now, color correction is the perfect tool to get from good to great. I think proper exposure and appropriate color correction are the most important aspects to the film look. Good job so far.

One technical note: It looks like your camera shoots at a framerate that is different from the line frequency where you shot this video. The flickering fluorescent lights are the symptom to that issue. You might want to try different shutter speeds to see if they help with the flickering.

Warren Kawamoto October 13th, 2007 01:02 AM

I wondered about the flickering then realized he is from Warsaw, Poland. Is the power 50Hz or 60Hz there? I went to Malaysia a couple of times and when I shot the 50Hz street lights with my NTSC camera, same thing happened... flickering.

Marcus Marchesseault October 13th, 2007 03:42 AM

My first guess was that he has a PAL camera in a country formerly controlled by the U.S.S.R. that may have different power frequencies than the rest of Europe. I honestly don't know what they use over there, but this forum really is international. You get a bit of a global education in video technology around here. The good news is that fluorescents with flickering magnetic type ballasts are on their way out. In the future there should be no flickering due to the super high frequency of more efficient electronic ballasted lights.

Trond Saetre October 15th, 2007 10:40 AM

Poland, as all of Europe is using PAL.

Sean Skube October 26th, 2007 11:49 AM

Hey, that's the Bean! Somebody's been hanging out here in Chicago. :)
Looks really nice. The flicker is a bit distracting though. I have an HC1 also, but I haven't had that kind of flickering. I wonder if it's a post process thing.

Marcus Marchesseault October 26th, 2007 04:03 PM

A polish guy shooting video in Chicago would explain the flickering. If he bought his camera at home and brought it over here that would explain everything. I'm a bit ashamed that I didn't recognize Chicago, especially considering the fact that the video's name is chi.mov!

Benjamin Cord November 8th, 2007 10:35 AM

Nice job Voitek.

Sean Seah November 15th, 2007 12:26 AM

i cant download the file.. BTW what settings were u on in Vegas? Any special filters or anything?

Loney Childress February 28th, 2008 12:50 AM

I thought it looked pretty good. I thought the flickering was kind of a cool look intentional or not.

Bill Busby February 28th, 2008 10:55 PM

Sendspace must have turtle paced servers :-\ Barely reaches 100KB/s

Matt Mullins April 12th, 2008 12:18 PM

Not all of Europe is PAL. The French use SECAM for what it's worth.

Shahryar Rizvi April 18th, 2008 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voitek Nosovski (Post 755832)
Hey

I recently bought SOny Hdr-HC1 with a hope to capture some moments from my life and achieving this cinematic film look. I dont have a 35mm adapter yet but i think the colors i managed to achieve are quite good and film-like. Im a complete amateur, never had a camcorder or editing program before. I edited and cc`d it in Sony Vegas.
Please let me know what you think!

download 30sec clip at:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ji8mu1

I really like the way the the movie is done and looks from the 30second mark til the end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loney Childress (Post 834435)
I thought it looked pretty good. I thought the flickering was kind of a cool look intentional or not.

I liked the flickering on the light at that one shot with the Quiznos in the background. But the rest of the shot does have a flicker too when you look for it. Otherwise, I thought the flickering was a bit annoying too.

Also, I think some of the camera shakiness through off some of the shots too.

Not bad at all for a first timer though. I've had an HC1 for about 2 years now and still haven't tried anything like this. (I've actually been thinking about upgrading to another camera maybe)