Film Look at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Closed Thread

Old December 7th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Film Look

Hello,

hope someone can help me with Infos on Film Look.
I need to teach 12 hours on Film Look and how to achieve it (in camera/ 35mm adapter etc; as well as in Postpro).
It is for a Bachelor Class (Digital Film & Animation), so I need good information. Do you Guys know any books/literatur on that?
Some good Links? Any interesting threads?
Also I will have to show some Footage to compare and some clips that show a good Film Look.
I would appreciate any help and information.

THX Rolf
Old December 7th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #2
Trustee

quick search here will get you way more info than you can digest in one sitting:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/search.php?searchid=1781296

I've stated in many of those thread that the "Film Look" is created more outside the camera than it is inside through lighting, costume, makeup, set design, acting/directing, script, the camera is really the last piece of the puzzle until you hit post production, and in camera, your job is to catch the best image possible whether you're on a $100 aiptek palmcorder or a Panavision 35mm monstrosity. Post production adds the layers of finish to the film and the distinctive "look" associated with whatever film you're watching. Color correction and color grading serve to take the perfectly exposed image that you've shot (which will look a bit murky gray and lifeless as all the highlights are in exposure, and the shadows have been lit to allow you to expose the highlights correctly), and cc/grading will stretch them back to get a more artistic, painterly look based on the needs of the story.
Old December 7th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

We've covered this topic so many times over that I really don't think we need yet another thread on it -- please use existing discussions for any further input or questions. Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production