Colour correcting for film vs. video -- what differences should I know about? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old January 5th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Colour correcting for film vs. video -- what differences should I know about?

I have my fair share of experience doing colour correction for NTSC broadcast video, but I have never been involved with anything for film. I will be working on a documentary that will originate as video (if all goes as planned, XDCAM EX1 1080p24) but will go out to film. So what differences between the two mediums (colour saturation, handling of blacks/mids/whites, etc.) do I need to be mindful of when doing the CC?

Last edited by Mike Barber; January 6th, 2008 at 01:37 AM. Reason: clarifying question
Mike Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 04:58 AM   #2
Inner Circle

film has is own properties (brand of film, type of film, the way it is exposed) so it will bring its own CC to your video anyway.
The best would be to ask for a sample so you can see what will happen exactly.
go there
http://www.swisseffects.ch/english/e...ges/e_tape.htm
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #3
Major Player

ugh.... get the final cut the best you can, then send it to a film transfer house and pay them... or if funds don't allow, contact two or three houses that may be used for the transfer and ask them specifically how they like it, maybe even head in with a 5 minute section on a thumb drive and do a short sample session with them if they have the time. They should be willing since when it comes to transfer times, it costs buckets of duckets, so they might be willing to give you 20 minutes on weds afternoon to make thier lives easier when your ready a month later.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #4
Major Player

Also... if you do the processing yourself, I know my JVC HD110 has a setting in camera for FILM OUT. It's far darker, highliths are super minimized and it looks like maybe 1 or 2 stopps under exposed in camera.. then you reballance the preview monitor so you can see what's going on. It is fairly different, so if it wasn't shot that way, it might make a lot more significant changes than you might think in POST. To the point that it looks terrible on a normally balanced monitor, but would look just great to film in a film recorder... sooooo that's why I was suggesting to seek out the film transfer house, but you probably already knew all of that.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #5
Major Player

Black/white levels (or... crushing and blooming)

How about IRE levels? With NTSC video, blacks may not dip below 7.5 IRE and whites will bloom above 100 IRE (or is it 108 IRE, but 100 is the legal ceiling?), which is due to properties of the medium. Film being a different animal, are there any similar restraints I need to be mindful of?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production