what codec to use to export to mini-DV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old June 25th, 2003, 04:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

what codec to use to export to mini-DV

I have a short I did on Premiere. I want to send it on a mini-dv tape to an Internet site. However, before I record it back onto a tape I need to mix it down. I was once told that rendering out a Premiere project as a Quicktime (animation, best quality) is a good solid UNCOMPRESSED format. Is this for sure, or is there another way to mix down so it is as true as it can be before I record it back onto my GL-1?

Thanks

Seth Peterson
Seth Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 05:32 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

That would be compressing the info, so no. When you are ready to export, just pick none for compressor. It will be the first menu I think.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 10:47 PM   #3
Trustee

Are you using "Export To Tape" from the "Export" menu?
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 10:52 PM   #4
High School Student

Uh, to be able to put it back on tape, it has to be in the DV25 AVI format.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2003, 06:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yep, Alex is right, to be able to put it back onto a DV tape, it has to be in a DV format (PAL or NTSC depending on where you are). Outputting it in Animation codec is pointless if it eventually ends up back onto tape (DV) and it would need to be compressed again anyway.
Adrian Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2003, 11:28 PM   #6
Trustee

If you load your work into Premiere and then export the timeline to tape you will end up with a native DV AVI file. It isn't compressed again it will be just the same quality as what the unedited footage was provided it was DV to begin with. If you render your work as uncompressed then it will be compressed 5:1 to meet the DV standard, the DV25 Alex is talking about, before it is recorded onto tape.
Old June 27th, 2003, 05:02 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I wasn't going to use the export to tape option in Premiere because I had heard that it is fickle. I was simply going to plug my GL-1 into my system via firewire, open the project, hit record on my camera...then hit play on the timeline. The reason I need to mix down is because I have quite a few tracks of audio and some AF/X renderings that are huge. When I try to record onto my GL-1, the firewire gets bottle necked resulting in very choppy playback. So I need to render out my project so all the audio is on one track and all the AVI's, transitions, etc. are one bar.
Seth Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2003, 05:37 AM   #8
Trustee

If you have an audio editing app like Cool Edit Pro or Sound Forge you can export the audio out to that and mix it down then import it back to Premiere.
Old June 28th, 2003, 07:50 AM   #9
Major Player

So does everyone always Export to tape....(Export timeline-->Export to tape). Or is it just the same to Save as Movie (uncompressed) and then you can export later.

Or is it better just to Export to Tape always once your film is all edited and ready?
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2003, 07:54 AM   #10
Capt. Quirk

I have never exported back to the cam, so I'm not sure. I have used export to tape when recording to VCR with no problems, other than a few stupid user errors :)
K. Forman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production