Team up with prod. company to sell movie short? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old March 20th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Team up with prod. company to sell movie short?

I had a quick question. I’ve got my short doc (26min) in the can and DVD-pressed, and it’s gotten 4200 plays on Vimeo so far (with 120,000 references – whatever that means.)

Since I did the thing myself, and have a day job, and nothing to lose, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to team up with a local indie production company that would be going to a film market anyway, and have them offer sampler DVDs, with the idea that they pick up a share of the profit if that sells. I figure it would be cheaper than going myself. What do you think?
Old March 21st, 2008, 02:46 AM   #2
Major Player

I think if you did some research online into distribution companies that deal with documentaries you would probably find a long list that you could simply send the sample to . If any of them are interested you would receive all the profit and you wouldn't have to go anywhere. If it is picked up they would probably request a master in digibeta.

Andy.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Brian,

Just so you know. If you go with a distributor you will make a range of $2-4 max US on a DVD that runs $19.95-29.95. As with all business the distributors make the most money and the creator the least (just like recording artists who make about $1 per CD).
Rick L. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick L. Allen View Post
Brian,

Just so you know. If you go with a distributor you will make a range of $2-4 max US on a DVD that runs $19.95-29.95. As with all business the distributors make the most money and the creator the least (just like recording artists who make about $1 per CD).
Well, right now I'm looking at $0, and I may be looking at broadcast distribution. (Found a production company with fingers in the right places.)

-- Brian.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production