Narrate using a Video Camera. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old April 10th, 2008, 05:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Narrate using a Video Camera.

Can a video camera be used to record (Audio) for narration for a documentary? I am looking at either the Sony PD170 or the Panasonic DVX100B. Can this be done or do I need to purchase a sound recorder for this prupose? If so, is it as simple and just recording with the camera and setting up the mic for good audio?

Chris
Christopher Feder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 05:57 AM   #2
Trustee

I've certainly done it for some voiceover for a short film - worked fine.
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Certainly can be done, but if you have a separate recorder you would probably get better control and higher quality recording. Many camera's audio sections are of less than stellar quality. You might also get a small desk mixer and record directly into your editing computer using a program such as Audacity or even your video editing program
Old April 12th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #4
Major Player

I recently did a voiceover for an instructional video. The narrater had to watch a copy of the footage to time it out right, so I used a pd170 to record, and I pointed the video camera at the TV screen to make it easier to sync it together. worked great for my application.
Old April 13th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Well since Iam in Afghanistan and dont know that much about audio I will have to 86 the idea of a different sound mixer. Thats just makes it that much more complecated. Dont get me wrong, I would to try that but I know its going to be difficult as it is doing the narration. Ilike the camera pointing at the screen, thats kinda likea "Foly system" right? Is there a special way I should write up the narration?

Chris
Christopher Feder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production