DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Your views on 24fps or film-like quality. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/12022-your-views-24fps-film-like-quality.html)

Bob Benkosky July 14th, 2003 12:16 AM

Your views on 24fps or film-like quality.

I have not seen many people on here mention the fact that a film like quality for video isn't always a good thing. If you get used to video, it looks more realistic and is far less harsh on the eyes than watching a movie in a theater with a crappy projector.

Pure and simple, if I watch a DVD transferred from film, of course, like say Pearl Harbor or something over-produced, it's much easier to sit thru than in the theater. At least for me. I guess this is because it's been made to work with our TV sets. Duh! It's not being projected. Cool!

In film school they teach you that you are essentially in the dark for 50% of the film because as each frame passes by you are seeing the frame seperations.....or whatever. Although 1 movie frame is alot bigger, it's still all relative. I'd guess 35% though.

I'm all for going from shooting the movie in normal mode to 24p, and I admit there's something to it. However, it's not being projected either which already makes it better imo.

Another thing.....Lighting is everything, just like everyone says and Hollywood flicks don't have to cheap out, have every kind of gadget available, which alot of us don't. That hurt's the "film-like" look right there. Hey, worst case scenario.... You want to make a movie and only have 2 people to act, and film the project. Can it look good??? Maybe some of it can, but it cannot certainly be your true vision unless you love tripod shots and never showing 2 people interact while having a moving camera. It does pay to have a lot of friends, hopefully that share the same interest too.

I was wondering something......

What's the difference between 24p (2-3 pulldown or 2-3-3-2) at least I think that's the only options in Vegas 4.0 right now. Or you can choose just to print it back to DV without the 24p option.

Oh I also noticed a horrible effect when you shoot in MOVIE MODE and add 24p 2-3-3-2. It's very, very blurry. It's like watching a movie on an old 1970's projector with wobbly heads.
It looks ok on the small computer screen, but when it's on the tube.....yikes.

Hugh DiMauro July 17th, 2003 11:36 AM

I agree with the Home Depot lighting thingy. Firstly, if you are duplicating the light thrown from a nearby tungsten table lamp, then why not match that light with a tungsten bulb in a Home Depot clamp light strategically directed towards the talent in the scene? I've experiemented with these clamp on lights/reflectors with 100, 150 and 300 watt bulbs and it looks great. If you get the chance, by all means, supplement your inexspenive clamp on lights with quartz Smith Victors having barn doors. I picked up two fabulous focusable lowell lights at a darned yard sale with four leaf barn doors and all! Both for 40 bucks! Yard sales and flea markets are awesome for picking up lights. Also, remember the bright 650 watt handheld movie lights for your old Super-8 cameras? I have six of them that I bought at yard sales, all for a buck each! They are fabulous for those scenes where you want to give depth to a shot so you have a production assistant hold the thing towards a corner of the set just out of camera range. No gaffer's tape, stands, clamps. Just a nice volunteer. Also, those 300,000 candlepower car lights that you plug into yoru cigarette lighter? Just blast that focused beam through white diffusion material and you have an instant car interior light to illuminate the talent should you have one of those "stakeout-at-night" scenarios.

Hugh DiMauro July 17th, 2003 11:38 AM

And one more thing: Those abovementioned home movie lights for a buck? Try buying a spare 650 replacement bulb for a buck! Ain't happenin'.

Mark Moore July 17th, 2003 01:00 PM

What's a production assistant? :)

Hugh DiMauro July 18th, 2003 06:05 AM

Oh. Yes. I forgot that back in the day I, too, had no readily available help. Well, might I suggest recruiting volunteers from your local college film/tv/communications course? I hear the professors actually offer extra credit to those students who volunteer to help local filmmakers.

Mark Moore July 18th, 2003 06:39 AM

Haha. Thanks. I may just do that.

I actually had some very talented individuals help me with my only short (film grads) - just because they enjoyed it. Very nice of them.

Also, a dad of one of the child actors held the bounce disk just about the entire day. Hmm. Production assistant! Poor guy. Because of watching him sweat, I bought a stand, boom arm and disk holder a few weeks later.