Any tips on making day for night look a little less lame? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old May 26th, 2008, 05:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Any tips on making day for night look a little less lame?

Hi everyone.

I have a scene or two in an upcoming project that needs to be set at night. We're using the redrock m2 35mm lens adaptor which, as you know, isn't the best as far as low light goes (like most lens adaptors).

After looking at all the possible options (renting bigger lights, finding faster lens' etc) it looks like day for night really is the only way we can make it work.

I know it's a cliche. I know it's tricky. I know it doesn't actually look like night.

but....

Anyone got any tips or advice? :)
Old June 4th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #2
Major Player

try to shoot at 'magic hour' no direct sunlight casting hard shadows, try to avoid any light emmitting sources (car head lights, street lamps etc) unless you dont mind the extra work in rotoscoping. Also becareful of strong reflective surfaces in the shot as they can capture the sunlight in a way which can give you problems when attempting a convincing day for night. when it comes to the post production, check out http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials.html?id=1

Hope this helps
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Great, thanks for the tips mate :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production