Old cameras - film looks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old May 26th, 2008, 09:30 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Old cameras - film looks

What kind of old camcorder might I purchase to get a film look? Should I be thinking of old VHS cameras, etc. with manual settings, or a Super 8, etc.? My first camera was digital so I don't know anything abou the older formats.

Any thoughts?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 12:32 AM   #2
Regular Crew

An old VHS camera isn't going to look anything like film. Different people think of different thing when they say "film look" so what kind of look are you going for? Super 8 is film, so that will definitely give you that look.
Keith Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:25 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I've done some research since I posted, Super 8 is definitely what I'm looking for. It's a very cool look.
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I've done some research since I posted, Super 8 is definitely what I'm looking for. It's a very cool look.
how much are you looking to spend on a camera? i might be able to recommend a model.

jones
Chris P. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #5
New Boot

Have you consider looking at www.redgiantsoftware.com. They have a plug in that may convert your movie into an Super 8 look without the need to purchase an old camera.
Daniel De Oliveira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Actually, after learning of the expense of the film for the super 8 cameras ($300 per hour!) I have abandoned the whole idea...but I do have some great film look effects....thanks for the idea..
Old June 9th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Actually, after learning of the expense of the film for the super 8 cameras ($300 per hour!) I have abandoned the whole idea...but I do have some great film look effects....thanks for the idea..
For what purpose/project were you needing the look (or the actual film).

I've always loved my Nattress filters:

http://www.nattress.com/

jones
Old June 10th, 2008, 06:09 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Actually Chris I do not edit on FCP...but thanks for the info! I was going to use film to tape certain outdoor sequences of wedding films...as I said I do have some great film effects...the look of real Super 8, though is amazing.
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
I was going to use film to tape certain outdoor sequences of wedding films...as I said I do have some great film effects...the look of real Super 8, though is amazing.
So this is a cost you could pass on to the client? This is a paying project?

jones
Old June 10th, 2008, 05:05 PM   #10
Inner Circle

This thread was not started as a solution to any specific problem or job, thanks Chris. Just want to try filming in additional format.
Old June 20th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
This thread was not started as a solution to any specific problem or job, thanks Chris. Just want to try filming in additional format.
sure thing, jeff - if you ever have any questions about super8, just PM me or holla in another thread!

jones
Old June 20th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Thanks Chris. I saw a wedding video company's website today that only does super 8, it was amazing stuff...really nice. http://www.papertapefilms.com/
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Thanks Chris. I saw a wedding video company's website today that only does super 8, it was amazing stuff...really nice. http://www.papertapefilms.com/
yes, that's the baby company of http://www.fiftyfootfilms.com/to reach out to the lower budgeted brides that want super8 but can't foot the $12,500 fifty foot bill. I think paper tape costs are in the 3-7k range. Pocket change :->.

jones
Chris P. Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production