DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   A vietnam scene (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/128262-vietnam-scene.html)

Larry Secrest August 19th, 2008 06:27 AM

A vietnam scene

Hello,

I was not sure where to post this, but I need to film a short scene, all very tight shots, in a scene that takes place in Vietnam, outside, no building seen.
I'm in the DC area. Where would you go in this area to vaguely find outdoors that could pass for Vietnam?
I know it's a stretch, but I'm asking just in case somebody knows a botanical garden, etc..
Larry

Hugh Mobley August 19th, 2008 09:53 AM

heres a thought, go to webshots you might find photos there that might work, and they do have videos, I have hundreds of photos from vietnam, wouldn't mind sharing with you

Lori Starfelt August 19th, 2008 11:24 AM

Since it's tight shots, I'd probably shoot it at the beach

or alongside a river - so that what you see is water rather than the details of the local plant life. Also, a field that has been harvested looks pretty much the same as a lot of other fields that have been harvested. Unless you can see the details of what is there, you won't know what was growing. And my apologies if this is too obvious but what about a local botanical garden? I'd also investigate what marshy areas in Vietnam look like because I think that the marshes in Maryland might very well pass for an Asian locale.

Kubrick shot FMJ in England. I'd watch it again for inspiration if I were you.

Best of luck. It'd be interested in seeing how you resolve this.

Don Bloom August 19th, 2008 01:10 PM

having spent 2 years of my life in Vietnam I would have to ask, what kind of scenery you are looking for. There landscape there was/is very different depending and what part of the country you are in.
The Central Highlands is mountainous with a lot of canopy cover, some triple canopy. Dark as night and hotter than hell. Oh yeah the humidity could kill you before a boobytrap could. The Delta region was much more open and had paddys all over the place. Completely different landscape.
Some of the vills in the highlands couldn't even be seen from the air while in the Delta, they were spotted all over the place.
Big cities like Saigon (now called Ho Chi Minh City) was a bustling metropolis, Ah Khe was a medium sized city, Bong Son was a "suburban" type city with very different architecture. Nha Trang was a smaller city that bustled with activity. Cities on or near the shoreline (beach) were quite different than inland cities.
All depends on what you're looking for as far as scenery.
Man this is bringing back memories. Goregous country. Absolutely beautiful! As long as no one was trying to kill you. Somewhere I've got a bunch of stills and super 8 reels laying around. I might need to try to find them and convert them.
Now you got me to thinkin'! :-)

Don

Theodore McNeil August 20th, 2008 10:26 AM

You're lucky you live in Maryland because we have just about every kind of geography. Specifically, there are loads of swamps in Maryland (both literal and metaphorical)...

I'd check the film board Maryland Film Office and check with the Maryland department of natural resources website: Welcome to the Department of Natural Resources They have a list of all the swamps you can visit and then call them at 1-877-620-8DNR. They are usually very friendly.

Trung Dau August 20th, 2008 03:14 PM

hi,
I'm from Vietnam. I know some place where there's a lot storks here. I think that would be a nice Vietnam scene.

Larry Secrest August 31st, 2008 05:09 AM

Thanks for all your answer.
I think I'm going to go with a river scene and show as little vegetation possible.
I found a river bank with bamboo in the background.
It's been tough to find this spot, but i'm all set
Thanks for all your input
Larry

Ken Steadman September 2nd, 2008 06:55 PM

Have you looked at Kenilworth aquatic gardens? It's close by and you have the place to yourself most of the time.

Larry Secrest September 5th, 2008 08:42 AM

Yes, they haven't responded to my demand of filming there.
L.

Eric Knopp September 8th, 2008 07:21 PM

Maybe it's because you made a demand... :-). I'm guessing(well, hoping, actually) that you made a request. Anyway, hope it works out.