Advice on securing location at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old August 19th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #1
Trustee

Advice on securing location

Ok, this is kind of backward - I have the location and I want to help a filmmaker secure permission to use it.

Our office is on a technology campus that is very old and very picturesque. It has been preserved very well and you could easily shoot a period film here. Most of the buildings are on the national historic register.

I've been in contact with a nationally-known director who is looking for a place like this. I've mentioned it to the campus manager and his first reaction was very negative. I'd like to see this happen because while I would receive no direct financial benefit from it, I believe I could learn a lot.

The main problem is that it's a horror movie. The manager is afraid this would cast a negative light on our campus.

Ideas?
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #2
Major Player

What is the budget of the film?

Schools normally make a lot of money on features shooting on their premises. Here in LA, LAUSD charges $2400 per 8 hour day, with a huge amount of overtime thrown in. Now, maybe your film has a lot of money and maybe it doesn't. Also, films being shot in areas outside of NY and LA, always get lots of local attention. The school itself will get written about - so there's a fair amount of attention that will come with the shoot itself. And this shoot could well lead to other shoots - much, much more money.

Local business love having film shoots around because film crews spend money. They stay in hotels, employ caters, hire local electricians and PAs and bring media into the area. And then the media stays in hotels and eats at local restaurants. Ka-ching. Ka-ching. Ka-ching.

I have never heard of a school getting a bad rep from a film shooting on their grounds. People like saying no because it's easier than saying yes. I'd find out what the filmmaker has budgeted for the location - that's what would probably get your school's attention.
Lori Starfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks for the response. It's not a school, but a technology campus (think industrial park, but mostly desk work!)

I don't know what the budget is for the film, but I talked to the campus manager and basically mentioned everything you had in your second paragraph - they would be bringing in a crew of 70 for about 30 days.

The director is calling the campus manager this morning. He seemed warmer to the idea when I talked to him earlier. His final comment was "Well, money talks!"
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 01:22 AM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davis View Post
His final comment was "Well, money talks!"
Sure does! You could also suggest that maybe the campus not be directly named. I know this has happened before when a film with not so friendly subject matter has been shot in similar areas.

Offering to let the manager read the script (providing the director already has one) can't hurt either. Who know's maybe the manager will like it and get behind the project with less persuasion (read: cash)
Mark Gentile is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production