Calling all Dragons! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old September 11th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #1
New Boot

Calling all Dragons!

Okay, so I have a crazy idea for a script, which I am finalizing. The problem is the dragon and the helicopter. Now, I don't have any budget for this, so I'm thinking both options are out, and I'll have to adjust the script accordingly. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to pose this question to the awesome brains we have here on DVInfo and see what comes up.

This movie is about a dream. One of those that you have and you wake up and you think, "What the??". I have a princess type figure rescued from a dragon who appears atop the tower, and is shot with arrows, and then a short while later the Blackhawk helicopter comes in, lands, picks them up and they fly to the next place to rescue someone else.

Like I said, this doesn't seem plausible, and would be a ton of work if done through a Digital Effects program. But I figured, why not ask?

Thanks!

Eric

/Flame suit on/
Eric Knopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #2
New Boot

WOW! Not a single response :-). Well, I guess that was the answer I was looking for :-).
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #3
Major Player

It occurs to me that in the play Equus,

the horses are represented by dancers with golden wire masks on over their heads and hoofs. Now, in the film of Equus, they used real horses, but it didn't work nearly as well as the dancers do. You could do that - get dancers with masks to play the role of the dragon. It could be quite magical done well. But you're going to need great, inventive dancers. They're out there and they all can use footage for their reel so there it is...

Google Image Result for http://www.international.ucla.edu/cms/images/EQUUS%205.jpg

Third image down is the horses. You can't get how beautiful it is in action, but it should give you an idea of how it could work. And a wire dragon head would not cost that much to construct - a few hangers and spray paint.
Lori Starfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #4
New Boot

Thank you Lori!

Blessings upon thee for being the only one willing to respond :-). I'll see if I can get this to work. The helicopter thing though, that's a different story entirely.
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:07 AM   #5
Major Player

I imagine this movie had the same problem.

Pete's Dragon (1977)

I also imagine that your movie will probably do well with a similar solution.
Old September 15th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #6
New Boot

Thank you, Brian, I appreciate the input. I need to learn how to do animation.
Old September 15th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Knopp View Post
Thank you, Brian, I appreciate the input. I need to learn how to do animation.
I'm using Keynote. But I'd go with finding someone who knows flash and paying them.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production