Matrix- How Do You Do That? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old July 15th, 2002, 07:40 PM   #31
Major Player

Paul, in theory that'd be fine, but the point is to use STILL Photo cameras, where one camera = one frame of video.

Now if you had the money to actually use ten DV cameras, you would still need still frames, so you'd have to trigger the photo mode on each...but that seems a bit much.

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2002, 07:45 PM   #32
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Casey Visco : Paul, in theory that'd be fine, but the point is to use STILL Photo cameras, where one camera = one frame of video.

Now if you had the money to actually use ten DV cameras, you would still need still frames, so you'd have to trigger the photo mode on each...but that seems a bit much. -->>>

Casey,

Good thing that I READ the post! :) You are absoulutly correct. Like I said it was a wacky idea out of my head. If you had 10 DV cameras, couldn't you just capture individual frames in Final Cut. Forgive my lack of knowledge.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2002, 07:55 PM   #33
Major Player

Yes, but as i said this is relatively cost prohibitive to use dv cameras.

It also doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense to use 35 mm cameras for a DV effect, you are still stuck having to develop all that film and sort out the frames, then scan em etc.

What you really need is a Digital Still camera. I don't own one since im a film guy, nor have i ever wanted to so i don't know that much about them, but I imagine at this point you might be able to find relatively inexpensive ones that still yield high enough resolution to be used in DV. The trick still is getting them to fire at the same time, though.

Old July 15th, 2002, 08:02 PM   #34
Major Player

Casey,

What about creating some sort of tracking device, which would follow the action. Maybe a Glidecam on some sort of pulley system. I have no idea if this would work, but it is the next thing that comes to mind.

Again I am very new to this, just trying to offer ideas. If they are WAY off base (which I am sure they are), just let me know!
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2002, 08:25 PM   #35
Major Player

well if we're to stick with idea of a single dv camera moving around the action, then slowed down with twixtor, Daniel has shown us this is a possible method.

in my mind, you'd want the shot as smooth and level as possible, i've mentioned to daniel removing the steadicam sway with combustion's stabilizing tracker.

a more reliable solution would be to use a dolly and track system in place of a steadicam, this would yeild more controlled and repeatable results.

Old July 15th, 2002, 08:42 PM   #36
New Boot

That would be from the Usual Suspects, Casey. It is one of my 3 favorite movies (I can't pick just 1).

Anyways, I think I have a few ideas. The reason I wanted to use disposable cameras was due to the cost, however the limitations are becoming obvious. So the next possibilities are digital still cameras or digital video cameras.

The good part about video cameras is that no timing would be nedessary. They could all capture 29.97 FPS and switch from one to the other at any time in post. They could also be connected to a video switching to help with aligning. However, the downside is the cost.

The good part about the digital still cameras is the cheaper cost, however they must be timed and aimed.

What I think I will try to do is borrow a few video cameras from friends... I have to know at least 4 others with minidv cameras. What I really need to do is meet with 15 other videographers and all of us work together... hmmm.

With 4-5 cameras I could at least do a simple test... however nothing compared to a 360 degree rig. possibly 30-45 degrees.

I will also continue to play with my steadicam... I am thinking that if I have a larger area to work, I could eliminate a good deal of the sway. I will also try Combustion (as Casey suggested) to remove some of the movement. I would like to see some footage created with a dolly, however I do not have one handy.

Adios!

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." - Joseph Dunninger (Mentalist/Magician)
Daniel Carrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2002, 08:54 PM   #37
Major Player

just thought i'd post this link

http://www.reelefx.com//Multicam/Mtechnical.htm

Reel Efx is a company that does this professionally for film. It's an interesting read.

Old July 16th, 2002, 02:58 AM   #38
RED Code Chef

For the Matrix they used a laser guidance system to pin point
EXACTLY where the camera's where pointing to. As for firing
each camera they probably did that with the help of a computer.
A computer can be programmed pretty simply to activate each
camera so-and-so much milliseconds after the previous one.

The trick is how you are gonna hook up those camera's so that
they allow an external force to trigger them.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2002, 11:20 AM   #39
New Boot

Casey,

Do you think I could get one of those pro sytems for $200? lol. I want one now :) I am very suprised by the level of accuracy obtained (and required) to get perfect results. I believe it was cameras timed within 0.0000005 seconds... WOW! That is pretty cool.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." - Joseph Dunninger (Mentalist/Magician)
Daniel Carrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2002, 03:14 PM   #40
Major Player

daniel, if you check out the price sheet

http://www.reelefx.com/Pages/price_sample_sheet_multicam.htm

i think you'll find that 200 wont get you very far ;) and remember that link is just the per-day rental charges!

Casey Visco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production