I want to make a film, but don't want to write a script...where can I get one? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old January 9th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #31
Major Player

Richard,

In point of fact, his original post was about how to find a script. That's what I responded to.

Again, when you're considering writing me a check to finance a picture, and you've signed an NDA, you can have those numbers. Jeeez.
Lori Starfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Lori,

No offense intended, I apologize if it came off that way. And in point of fact, Douglas is interested in those numbers, so we're still 'on track' in this thread.

As a producer, your practical experience is invaluable to new filmmakers. I certainly wouldn't ask for specifc numbers, just some ballpark figures that work in your experience. For instance your are credited on SCHOOLED Lorenda Starfelt
which has a listed budget of 500k. Now, I understand that the budget is typically inflated for distribution purposes, but you could let us know that the 'average' budget of the six features was between - what? 100k and 500k? Something along those lines.

Did the other five go straight to video? Did half of them make money and the other half fail?Were overseas sales done pre-production? Things like this aren't really giving away the store - anymore than mentioning craigslist as a source for finding talent.

Here are couple of links about distribution models, and how they are changing. No NDA required.

indieWIRE: FIRST PERSON | Peter Broderick: "Welcome To The New World of Distribution," Part 1

indieWIRE: FIRST PERSON | Peter Broderick: "Welcome To The New World of Distribution," Part 2

Real practical experience from people on the front lines is what this forum is about.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Starfelt View Post
Douglas,

Put the ad on Craig's List Los Angeles Writing Gigs. It will cost you nothing and you will have, easily, 150 responses and maybe far more. As I said before, I have had Academy Award winning writers respond to my queries. Specify that you want an urban script - there are hundreds and hundreds of them floating around Los Angeles and New York. Read the query letters that you get and only reveal yourself to the writers whose pitches interest you. Set a goal of reading 100 scripts. That's going to take some doing (which is how I wound up getting hired repeatedly to do it), but it's worth it - you'll learn a lot about what you're looking for in that journey. Most of them we'll be mediocre. Several of them will be good. And a few will be knock outs. Compare the knock outs to your resources. Talk to the writer and see if you click. Reread my post above because the details of what goes in the ad will help you weed out badly written scripts from the get go.

Honestly, no one is going to talk about budgets and ROI on an open board. I'm stunned that I'm even being asked. That's information that goes into business plans with an NDA.

This is my best work here:
YouTube - THE WATERMELON
This definitely seems like the best idea. So you're basically saying that I should go to the L.A. craigslist specifically, there will be a writing gig section, and I put that I'm looking for an urban script to film an independent film? Should I be specific in what I want or paint with a wide brush?

thanks for the help.

Last edited by Douglas Wright; January 9th, 2009 at 06:55 PM.
Douglas Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #34
Major Player

Doug,

Yes, go here and place you ad:
los angeles writing gigs classifieds - craigslist

You'll easily get 150 responses to an ad there - quite a number of which will be good scripts. I've probably read 1500 scripts from queries on Craig's List and you will get a huge range of submissions. But scroll up to the top of page 2 and read my first post on the subject. There are a number of things that you can do that will make your job easier - seriously.

I would simply say that you are looking for an urban script, with a limited number of characters and locations. Your specific idea, whatever it is, may be your second film rather than your first. Avoid scripts that call for lots of extras or night shoots - unless you already have the lighting for that. Kids are to be avoided as well. Don't lock yourself down into anything because it's very hard to make a successful indie that way. Indies call for flexibility and inventiveness. You have to be after quality but not necessarily the way it is typically done.

If you fall in love with a script and want me to take a look at it, to assess how do-able it is on your budget, I'll do that.
Old January 10th, 2009, 02:43 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Lori, I've followed your advice and posted an ad. I'm receiving some interesting scripts and my post isn't even a few hours old! Thanks for the tip.
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #36
Major Player

Lori.
Thank you for the tip as well. I checked it out and found a production company looking for a character based drama. Exactly what I just finished writing and having covered/reviewed. I sent them a query email and they asked for the script.

Thank you again. Here's to hope! :)
Old January 10th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #37
Major Player

You're very welcome. What a cheerful way to start the day. Best of luck to both of you.
Old January 10th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #38
Major Player

BTW, flaggers can get out of control on Craig's List and get perfectly good posts deleted. If your post gets deleted, simply repost it. Do not say it's ultra-low budget, that you're a first time feature director or that you can't write a big check. Under payment, write "rate" or "negotiable". Sometimes you have to put it up a couple times before it sticks.

I had a friend who posted an ad for an editor for a feature film a few months, and was paying $6000 - a perfectly reasonable fee for a low budget indie and it got flagged off. I have no idea why. So, don't get miffed if it happens to you.
Old January 10th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #39
Regular Crew

thanks, I was just about to ask you about that, this is what I posted and it got flagged twice:

Date: 2009-01-10 11:00:18
PostID: 987635348
Title: (writing gigs) Urban Screenplays Wanted for Independent Film
I'm looking to make an independent film with an urban environment and characters. I'm looking for something along the lines of: Hustle & Flow, Baby Boy or Spike Lee's early flicks. The story could be very different than those, I'm just referring to the type.

I'm searching for a script that hopefully only involves 2 or 3 main characters, while the other roles could be played by extras. Also, as I'm not looking to make a big budget blockbuster, I can only consider scripts that don't include too many locations or that possesses scenes that would be very expensive to shoot. It's going to be shot in the Miami, Florida area.

I'm looking to make a full "feature" film that I can shop at festivals and/or seek distribution for, not a short film. If you are interested in working with me, please email me your script and if it meshes with what I'm trying to do, hopefully we can make something happen.

legendsfilms.com

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
* Compensation: I'm seeking to option the script.
Old January 10th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #40
Major Player

Douglas.
Might I suggest something like this?

We are currently looking for a great feature length script in the same vein as: Hustle & Flow, Baby Boy or Spike Lee's early flicks.

Script should involve 2 or 3 main characters and locations must be limited. Script must be in a completed state and not work in progress. Please email logline and a brief synopsis.

legendsfilms.com

As a screenwriter, I would never send a script blindly to a post on Craig's list without knowing more about who I'm sending it to.

Plus you can wade through loglines faster then full length scripts and it will help you weed out who is a good writer and who is not. Also, you want to make sure you have them sign a submission form or release form of some kind and you'd state that when you email them back and ask for the script, if the logline and brief synopsis applealed to you.

Just a thought.
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #41
Regular Crew

thanks for the suggestion, I posted it just like that.

I have one script that I received that I'm interested in so far, but I would like to have more to choose from....hopefully whoever it is that keeps flagging me will stop.
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #42
Regular Crew

As far as optioning a script with one of the people that hit me up, what would be considered a reasonable arrangement?
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Whatever is determined to be 'reasonable' between you and the writer. My options were for a little over WGA minimums, but this was an established production company.

Basically, you'll be offering an option for a specifc ammoun of time to develop the script. How long do you think you'll need to get it made? Six months? Twelve? Eighteen? You offer a cash payment against the total price, for the specified time. Lets say you offer to pay twenty thousand for the script, (Which is FAR less than WGA minimums)... and you want twelve months to develop it. Typically ten percent is offered but you could offer less... but say two grand for twelve months. You then have twelve months to develop the property. IF at the end of twelve months, the script doesn't get made - the rights revert back to the writer and they get to keep the option money. (The balance is due if the script IS made...)

I've made quite a bit of change off of options that didn't get made. I'd RATHER the scripts get made - but if they are going to be 'off the market' for a specific time, then I want to get paid for it.

All of these numbers and details are negotiable. For instance, you could offer a 'step deal' for re-writes, but you generally want a script that's as close to ready as you can be from the get-go in an indy situation. Payment might be negotiated for start of production, or as a 'back end' deal.

Read up on it, and download some sample options. http://www.encyclopediapro.com/mw/Sc...ract_(Sample_1)

http://www.absolutewrite.com/screenw...lay_option.htm

(My google-fu is strong)

And if a script is REALLY HOT, be prepared to negotiate for it. You might have to either increase the option money, or shorten the option period, depending on what the writer wants.

(I'm fortunate in having an IP attorney who negotiated my options.)

Good luck!
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 11:38 PM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Wright View Post
thanks for the suggestion, I posted it just like that.

I have one script that I received that I'm interested in so far, but I would like to have more to choose from....hopefully whoever it is that keeps flagging me will stop.

That's awesome. Keep this thread going. I'd love to hear how you're doing with it. Oh yeah, don't forget to send out the submission/release form to them when you ask for the script.
Old January 11th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #45
Major Player

Douglas,

Check your PM. I sent you some stuff.

Lori
Lori Starfelt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production