Need Help mimicing 2006's Miami Vice's look at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need Help mimicing 2006's Miami Vice's look

What kind of filters do you think I'd need? I'm thinking Some cooling blues from Tiffen but mixing them with yellow to get the green tint effect. Or should it be done all post?
Ryan Kincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 01:08 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Have you considered doing it in post?

try this:
Add a gradient as the base layer in FCP (assuming you're using FCP)

Then, drop your footage on top of it (on V2) and hit "Composite Mode" and select "Hard Light"

Open up the gradient, hit "Radial", hit "Dither", hit "Gaussian" and then experiment with the colors

Drag the red PLUS sign to the middle of the box and play around a bit...I use this to mimick the Top Gear show but I find it can also mimick many of the Red Giant/MB "Looks" plugins with some some tweaking.

Just a thought...
Craig Lieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Craig,

Yeah, I figured I might have to do it during post. I was hoping just on using the filters to do so because i have no clue what to do in Final Cut Pro. But it seems like more and more just shooting Raw footage and using FCP to drop in matte boxes for the aspect ratio and color coding is the way to go now. I was just fearful of the laboring affects when I'm rendering my feature.

I guess I know the answer to this after all.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 01:52 PM   #4
New Boot

Hi there,

this is my first post, but i really wanted to chime in on this. Firstly, i must say that i love the look of Vice, and Collateral is right up there next to it too. Dion Beebe rocks!

Anyway, a few years back me and some friends (we were all studying film....and obsessed with the imminent release of vice) so we went out and shot a hypothetical michael mann film and edited it to the vice trailer music. Its a bit tongue in cheek, but we shot it with no budget, on a Sony Digi8 Camera, no filters, no lights, and only using the light that was available (mostly street lamps).

YouTube - Urban Blackout - A new film by Michael Mann

Its nothing amazing or anything, but i wanted to stress that if you are shooting at night then finding good locations is key, especially if you are using only streetlights. A well lit night scene will give you such a good base to start from that you will find you wont have to do nearly as much in post.

Best of luck with your project!!
Luke Frater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey Luke, thanks man, that's exactly the kinda look I was going for. Question, what did you use? A steady arm, Fly Cam, just over the shoulder? It mimicked Vice so smoothly.
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:33 AM   #6
New Boot

hey there, thanks haha, its so funny watching that now (seems like it was made so long ago) - and to answer your question, nope, it was all handheld, no steadyarm or jib work, there are a few tripod shots in there, but overall the handheld gives it a raw look, which complements the fast cutting and grittyness of the trailer. I think handheld would definitely be the way to go for your film, but if you are cautious of it, perhaps you could use it sparingly? for key scenes?
Luke Frater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Yeah, I had a meeting with DP my guys and I liked (finger's crossed). We won't be using my DVX which I'm sad about but it looks like we'll be doing it hand held although sparingly since his cam is fairly big.

But I agree with you 100%
Ryan Kincaid is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production