DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Magic Bullet and DVX-100 Standard 24P mode (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/16659-magic-bullet-dvx-100-standard-24p-mode.html)

Benton Roman November 4th, 2003 11:23 AM

Magic Bullet and DVX-100 Standard 24P mode

I shot a music video on the DVX-100 in standard 24P. I cut it on Final Cut Pro4 and exported an uncompresses 10 bit quicktime movie. I put that in after effects and am now applying Magic Bullet so the video can be 23.976FPS. Questions: Does it need to be deinterlaced? Isn't 24P already deinterlaced? When exporting should I have a 3:2 pulldown(looks better when I dont-even though they say do with WWSSW, but that might not be for DVX-100)?

Thank you

Benton

Graeme Nattress November 4th, 2003 11:34 AM

If you shot in 24p - why do you need the magic bullet? Surely MB is for turning 60i to 24p, which is something you just don't need.

Did you use Cinema Tools to remove the pulldown. If not, then you can, and you'll get 23.98fps footage for a 23.98 timeline, which you can either make a 24p DVD from or go to film, or add 3:2 pulldown on output to tape if you want to see it on TV.

Kevin Maistros November 4th, 2003 01:54 PM

Magic Bullet is also decent for creating a certain film "look" and enhancing the image quality. Not just 24p.

Graeme Nattress November 4th, 2003 01:57 PM

The "look" aspects of Magic Bullet can be done using levels curves, layers and colour correction without the need for spending $1000. The 24p aspect and de-artifacter are the only parts of the MB suite that you can't acheive with a standard install of AE.

Graeme

Benton Roman November 4th, 2003 02:38 PM

24P DVD

Does a 24P DVD look any better than a 29.97 DVD?

And one more question.
If I shot on the DVX-100 and cut on final cut can I export an Uncompressed 10 bit quicktime or is that just for Digibeta? It seem to look better than compressing it with DV/NTSC.

Kevin Maistros November 4th, 2003 02:44 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Graeme Nattress : The "look" aspects of Magic Bullet can be done using levels curves, layers and colour correction without the need for spending $1000. The 24p aspect and de-artifacter are the only parts of the MB suite that you can't acheive with a standard install of AE.

Graeme -->>>

Yes, and personally I prefer my own methods in AE with layering, transfer modes, maskings, and levels/curves/saturations than any plug in simply because I love the individual control. I was simply saying that he was using MB for the look instead of the 24p

Graeme Nattress November 4th, 2003 03:17 PM

Because a 24p DVD has less frames per second, you could devote more of your precious 9.8mbits/second to the picture quality of each of those frames, and also the lack of interlace should result in slightly better compression. So Yes, it'll look better.

Are there any effects or titles in the production? If so, then rendering the whole thing out uncompressed (no need to go 10 bit - DVD is only 8 bit) could result in a slight improvement for going to DVD - but remember DVD is 4:2:0, so is colour resolution limited, so you should be careful with graphics and obey the same rules as what you use to make graphics look good on DV. If not, then compress from DV to DVD will look as good as it gets.

Graeme

Martin Munthe November 5th, 2003 03:46 PM

It also looks better on the big screen with a digital projection!

I had the opportunity to test screen my latest movie in a 1500 seat theatre the other night. We used a Sony black chip DLP and a lot of funny toys connected. It looked absolutely awsome since the footage is progressive. Line doublers does a much better job on progressive footage.

What those super expensive line doublers and noice reduction systems does is amazing. I've always been a believer of "what goes in one end comes out the other" but I have to take that back. The stuff I color correct in my editing setup doesn't look half as good as what I was watching on that big screen... :)