Grain animation ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old November 24th, 2003, 07:39 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Grain animation ?

Hi,

I'm new to the film look, but I can't help noticing the grain animation on the big screen. Do you feel that this soft edge animation is part of the pleasant look of film ? Some packages offer such grain animation, but it really doesn't look quite right. Have any of you
tried these techniques? Is it a resolution issue in that the grains are just too big on DV resolution ? I'm also wondering if the grain animation simulations aren't particularly good because they have been constrained to finish the job in a particular time. In audio effects, many non-linear operations are calculated on over-sampled data, thus reducing aliasing artifacts. I am guessing this is a good explanation for why film still has that soft edge look even *after* going back to video.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2003, 09:03 PM   #2

Check out Grain Surgery
http://www.visinf.com/gs/ae/

Free Demo.

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2003, 09:35 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks for the link. It looks Grain Surgery offers much control over the grain animation. I'll download the demo and check it out.
Good antialiasing on grain animation for video-rate image processing is still probably too CPU-expensive for today's computers. From rough calculations, it seems like the stuff would
run at roughly 1/10 frame/second on today's fastest PC. Video-rate digital signal processing used to be impossible. Almost there ...
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2003, 10:41 PM   #4
Wrangler

I've had success with discreet's grain matching tools (combustion, inferno).

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2003, 08:51 PM   #5
Regular Crew

A tip I remember from the Meyers AE book--

One of the reasons software noise/grain filters look so muddled or different on NTSC/PAL is due to the pre-existing low resolution the material is sourced at. They suggest uprezzing your footage (doubling or tripling the resolution, depending on what you like) and then applying the noise/grain to that, then shrink it back down to DV output resolution and it should look a bit more natural on playback. When shrinking it down, the larger grain should appear a bit finer (is the logic I think). I hope this helps.
Michael Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production