I did the flimic look but now what? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old December 6th, 2003, 04:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I did the flimic look but now what?

I have done what I think is a filmic post production work. I took 60i and followed the tutorial on this site: Simulating a 35mm Motion Picture Clarity Signature and the color correction part too. I have also come to realize to get that film look and need to do alot of work first behind the camera like proper lighting, DOF, frame mode doesn't hurt either but was not an option with my last video test.

My question is do I still need to delace it even if I followed the tutorial on this site. Also where can I properally view it. Will watching it on a TV loose it's film like qualities that I see in my NLE? What about a progressive scan TV? Thanks for the help.
Anthony Meluso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2003, 04:44 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: I did the flimic look but now what?

<<<-- Originally posted by Anthony Meluso : What about a progressive scan TV? -->>>

If you use a progressive scan DVD player connected via component video to a progressive scan monitor (such as an LCD screen) it will have more of a film-like quality. Or at least that's what my eyes see.

If you use some software that does adaptive deinterlacing (as opposed to just throwing away one of the fields) you will essentially have 30p footage that's pretty comparable to shooting in frame mode. On a progressive monitor you should see 30 complete images each second instead of 60 interlaced ones.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production