SoftScreen--A Nifty Idea - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old December 18th, 2003, 11:40 AM   #16

Hey Charles,

It was nice seeing you at the DV Expo West, was going to talk to you some more and watch your DVD, but as you may have noticed, we were swamped in the Canon booth. I had no idea we would be that busy! Still, it was nice to see you. Next time I am in LA (not too long from now), we will have to kidnap you and buy you some drinks on top of the Standard. hehe

I haven't used a softscreen myself, so I wouldn't know exactly what material is used. I would say that it wouldn't be too difficult to get that material from a Gel manufacturer, be it Gam or Lee or Rosco. Your'e right about using one outside in the wind. Or perhaps even indoors with a ceiling AC vent - like some of the studios I have worked in.

About the frame, if you look closely at the picture, I do think that you will notice some woodgrain action there. Hmmmmmmm...

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 12:06 PM   #17
Wrangler

<,the SoftScreen is "a special acrylic optical panel that diffuses light." From the pictures on the site, it looks like some sort of plexiglass-like material.>>

Dig it. Well there we are then. The cat seems to have crawled back into the bag, eh?

Of course, it might be possible to affix a gel to a panel of Lexan (and build a frame, and add 5/8" studs, etc etc) to achieve a similar effect.

The point is (and this is aimed at an earlier poster here): there's nothing new about copying someone else's smart idea, and it costing a lot less if you refuse to place a value on your own time as well as the R&D involved in creating the design you are knocking off (and the advertising and overhead that made it possible for you to hear about it in the first place). It's just bad taste to crow about the whole thing. In my opinion.

I've seen a few people (in the Steadicam world, for instance) make a cheaper mousetrap by knocking off and cutting corners. Sometimes they are pretty proud of themselves and thumb their noses at the "establishment" and their ridiculous prices. A few years down the road, someone comes along and undercuts them, and now they are the "establishment"--suddenly they are singing a whole different song.

Diatribe over...hi Don, nice to chat with you too. You guys were damn busy at the booth. Nice little show.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production