New Demo Posted on Movietube - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old January 19th, 2004, 08:26 AM   #31
Trustee

Wow, there's a lot of negative conjecture flying around. The thing is, new companies pop up all the time who've identified ways to create and sell a product for which there is a space in the market. Is there a space in the market for 35mm adapters for DV cameras? The most viewed thread on this forum alone suggests hell yes! Will it be priced to allow 'normal people' to buy it? Well, by the fact that they're trying to offer an LT version suggests so. But without real pricing yet, everything is conjecture.

For those who've been following this movietube stuff for a while, you'll recall that originally they were to release at the start of this year, and it's been delayed to summer. Whether that's a positive sign or a negative sign it's impossible to say. To call something vaporware after one or two delays is jumping the gun a bit though, I'd say. That term is usually reserved for a manufacturer who just has not delivered a promised product within a reasonable space of time from when originally promised. Like the Dalsa Cinema camera, for example.

And while not supporting the XL1 (at least for now) may sound hard to believe, there is the fact that it is PD170 and DVX100 compatible. Movietube is probably banking on the fact that since PD170 (PD100/PD150) is really one of indie films' favorite cams, and the DVX100 is increasingly popular, and the movietube will allow you to use professional lenses with those cams, well... omitting the XL1 for now doesn't seem like a very bad sacrifice, especially considering that there is most definitely an XL2 in the works and we have NO idea what that will look like. I'm sure plenty XL1 owners will jump on me for saying it, but it seems like perfect business sense to first see if people buy into the thing first before bothering to do anything further against a product that may soon be discontinued in its current form.

Let's just wait and see...
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 08:53 AM   #32
Major Player

Just taking a few guesses here.

I don't think it's really the matter of the XL1 not working on the unit at all. It seems to me that their problem with the XL1 would be the length of the camera. Granted I've never compared the length of the XL1 to the Sony VX series or panasonic DVX100. But if that's the case this unit probably would work with the XL1 so long as it was fitted with a smaller lens first. Say using an adapter and a 50mm lens http://www.virtualcybervision.com/xl1/Adaptor%20Products.htm

As for distribution they may very well be considering only self distribution from the start. I mean once (if) the product is finished and for sale all they really need to do is drop a link on a few messageboards like this one and people will spread it all over the internet if the price is right. Word of mouth advertising.
Old January 19th, 2004, 10:22 AM   #33
RED Code Chef

I wouldn't say negative conjecture, Mike. It's just that the
company claims to release the product this year but there
really isn't any information available at all. The list from supported
camera's didn't even come from their website. We don't even
have pictures yet, although they surely must be having finished
at least the test model.

The XL1 isn't that long if you remove the lens and go with a
relay lens (like the P+S one). It would probably be a bad idea
with the XL1 to use the lens (somebody might not even own
the standard lens anymore).

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production