Super8 questions... - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old January 31st, 2004, 04:32 PM   #61
Inner Circle

Dave,
Are you certain there is no exposure control? Check and see if you at least tdon't have a "EE lock". Thats a very rough way of changing the exposure. The cheaper cameras have a "lock" button on the exposure, so you can aim the camera at an area that has the exposuer you want, press the button and "lock" it there. Handy if you are shooting under variable conditions, and can be used as a rough substitute for setting exposure.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2004, 11:56 AM   #62
Tourist

Shawn, about that Russian cam.....

Hey Shawn, you were asking about the "Quartz " aka, the "Kinoflex".......... I have one of these. I got mine on ebay for around US$100 or so, the attraction of these cams is that they are new and they come with some filters and other lens adapters. This camera is built like a tank with a solid metal body. One other unusual thing for a super 8 camera (as opposed to regular 8) is that its a windup i.e. it doesn't use an electric motor. It also lets you set the aperture manually, but as in many other of S8 cameras with manual exposure, its a tiny little dial on the side of the body which doesn't offer very nice handling. The other thing I don't like so much is that the viewfinder isn't very bright and the focusing 'grid' is difficult to use.

I would recommend you just get a second hand camera. I like my Canon 514 and 814. Over on the 8mm.filmshooting site, we recently did a global timelapse project, where we all shot timelapse for one day. For my part, I cobbled together a simple circuit to plug into the 814 so I could just aim the camera and sit back as the camera triggered away happily. I love 8mm for that kinda stuff.

ed
Edwin Cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2004, 12:13 PM   #63
Major Player

Thanks, Edwin, I probably will go that route. Now to figure out which models are better than others...

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2004, 12:57 PM   #64
Trustee

Richard,
The only manual control of exposure is a
backlight switch, which increases exposure
by a stop or two.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production