30p vs. 24p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old January 21st, 2004, 07:42 PM   #1
Major Player

30p vs. 24p

just trying to get a comparison betweent he 2... obviously 24p meshes with film but for digital output wouldn't 30p give you that film-jutter at a higher resolution (frame rate) than 24p... benefitted through slow motion etc...
side note any good way to catch a juicy slow motion with video? I know you can capture time lapse with the firestore drives but can you capture at a higher frame rate? Looking to shoot some product shots and slo-mo is something I'd like to be able to do.
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 08:15 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Quote:
just trying to get a comparison betweent he 2... obviously 24p meshes with film but for digital output wouldn't 30p give you that film-jutter at a higher resolution (frame rate) than 24p...
30P would give one the jitters if the output would be 30P as well.
Quote:
benefitted through slow motion etc...
DV cams don't do slow motion because you can't shoot with an increased frame rate.
Quote:
side note any good way to catch a juicy slow motion with video? I know you can capture time lapse with the firestore drives but can you capture at a higher frame rate?
Hmmm, don't know.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 10:51 PM   #3
Major Player

JVC GR-DVL9800U supposedly shoots faux fast speed... anyone? I guess the smart thing would be to use a mini35 for most footage and mingle with a high speed 16mm segment... more cc work for me...
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 11:27 PM   #4
Outer Circle

Quote:
JVC GR-DVL9800U supposedly shoots faux fast speed... anyone?
Yes. So does the GR-DVL9500. However, the playback is only 1/2 frame size. See Page 44 and page 47 of DVL9500 operating manual.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 02:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Frank, is it perhaps that the JVC camera takes advantage of the 60i? Theoretically you could just display 1 half-frame (because of the interlacing) and then...you would have 60fps @ half the resolution.

I think I remember there being a program out there that did this...I can't remember the site or anything...if it rings anyone's bell the site was sports oriented and had pictures of people playing baseball.

So, maybe this is an option for every camcorder? Maybe something you could look into Josh?

Good luck,
Rob
Old January 26th, 2004, 08:49 PM   #6
Major Player

thanks for the answers....

good combustion plug in twixtor... speed ramping...

or

http://www.rarevision.com/articles/24p.php
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production