Lord protect us from actors/producers/directors... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old April 18th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Lord protect us from actors/producers/directors...

I was wondering if anyone had any quirly/funny anecdotes from working with actors who also have experience (or aspirations) as directors/producers and feel compelled to butt in on the set?

I was casting for a short film that paid union rates, and one actor who was directing/producing a feature at the time asked to audition. But before he committed, he mentioned his experience (on what seems like a vanity project) and asked, as a condition, to know about the project's budget, the marketing strategy, the distributor attached, the shot list, who the DOP was, etc.

Needless to say, he got a "Thanks, we'll let you know" reply. It's not just a matter of being protective of my project, but I can't imagine anything worse than an actor on set who feels that he's entitled to second-guess the director/producer - especially since he's getting paid to act!

Any similar experiences out there?

J.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #2
Wrangler

This can happen all the way up the line--once had to suffer through working with a particular well-known actor who had directed an Oscar winning feature (best director, best picture) and felt that gave him the right to tell everyone else how to do their jobs. The next time I was asked to work with him, I turned the job down.
Old April 18th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #3
Major Player

I had one actress/producer who said I should expect to spend $25 000 on catering for a micro budget feature.
At the end of the producer interview she gave me her headshot.

Another one said they had switched from acting to producing because they found the
former "too much work."
Kelly Goden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production