DVFilm Maker 2.0? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old February 13th, 2004, 03:28 PM   #1
Major Player

DVFilm Maker 2.0?

Does anyone know anything about this? I heard on another messageboard that it's out for free download by people who already own v1.0 and that 2.0 supports 60i to 24p conversion.

The website doesn't say anything about 2.0 right now. I also don't own 1.0 so I'm curious if buying it right now will automatically get me access to downloading the 2.0 upgrade?

Also anyone who has downloaded it and tested it, how does it compare to Magic Bullet's 60i to 24p conversion? I really don't have the money right now to buy MB but shot my last feature in 60i instead of Canons frame movie mode because I wanted to leave my options open for just this sort of thing.

Thanks
Old February 13th, 2004, 03:55 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

The download is available here:
http://dvfilm.com/maker/preview.htm

If you're a registered user of an earlier version, the update is here:
http://dvfilm.com/update
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2004, 11:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I downloaded this & it is very cool!

I recorded myself reading dialogue with my camera at 60i & used dvfilm2 to convert to - 24P quicktime. it was perfectly synced. & I didn't notice any loss of quality, nor any skipped frames.

Hey it's magic bullet without the need for after effects for less than $100!
Jed Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2004, 03:57 PM   #4
Wrangler

Interesting... version 2 is only for the PC, the Mac version is still 1.06.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 06:49 PM   #5
Major Player

anyone tried this? The dvx100 uses an algorithm, if this one is better it seems like the 24p cam is useless. Just shoot 60i and convert it.
Old March 4th, 2004, 07:32 PM   #6
Contributor

<<<--The dvx100 uses an algorithm, if this one is better it seems like the 24p cam is useless.-->>>

Huh?

Not to come across as disparaging Michael, but you might want to double check the details here...

I'm assuming by 'algorithm', you are referring to the pulldowns that are available to get from 24fps to 29.97fps on tape. This is merely a means to keep you from having to by that proprietary Panasonic 24p deck and monitor. It is the same as what is done to film when is telecined to tape.

I've used DVFilmmaker quite a bit and I like the look that it can give to some 60i material, but it is not comparable to footage that is captured natively at 24 fps (and progressively at that.) I also don't think that its author, Marcus, presumes it is.

That said, it is still a pretty helpful tool to have around even when shooting with a camera like the DVX100. Being able to get misc 60i footage to 30/24p for a better temporal match or merely adding 3:2 pulldown back to a 24fps Quicktime file are things I still use it for regularly.

Best,
Clayton
Clayton Farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2004, 07:50 AM   #7
Regular Crew

DVFilm upgrade for Mac

DVFilm Maker v.2.0 is now available for Mac. It seems faster, and has some nice new features, including "drag and drop" and conversion to 24 fps. If you have an earlier version, the upgrade is free.

I really like this program, and think it is a great deal for the money, however I have not had experience with Magic Bullet. I am in no way associated with DVFilm other than being a satisfied user.

Go to http://www.dvfilm.com and follow the links.
www.doubledogsvideo.com
video@doubledogs.com
Brad Richmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2004, 10:47 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I have done some deinterlacing and pull down tests and dvfilm maker did not make it on the list. Sorry to say but after converting to 24fps the artifacts busted out and killed some resolution. Well i found a manual way of exporting out frames by either decimating by 3 or 2 frames or just put it down to 25fps for example. That could be done using application called Virtual Dub. After you took out some of the useless frames you now want to smooth out the footage so it is possible to slow the frame rate down to 24fps. Yes that does cause a bit of a slow motion space effect but the footage you come out with is 25frames played back at 24fps(which i don't mind at all since it is not really noticable) without that jarring effect. Before the footage runs through all of that it needs to be properly deinterlaced with the smart bob tool called "Tomsmocomp" (dll plug in for Avisynth which links all these processes.) This method seems the most lossless method of performing a deinterlacing pull down.
www.avisynth.com (you can find all variety of filters on this site additional to this being a great linking program to this method.)
www.virtualdub.org (used for a lot of great things exporting frames, slow the frame rate, filters too but i prefer avisynth for that purpose.) If anyone has comments or maybe questions pm me i would be glad to explain though i would have to say this is not a "golden" method this is all based on my tests.
Dmitri Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 05:36 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Dmitri,

I've been playing around with avisynth and vdub - doing the exact same thing - the frustrating thing about most of the support material and forums is that everyone (while very knowledgable and generous) seems to be going from a DVD ->Deinterlace->DIVX or something for archiving movies. Therfore the reccomendations for filters and settings aren't ideal for what I (we) want to do - in my case:PAL 50i footage-Deinterlace-> PAL25p - to edit and go back to DV.

What is your workflow for this? What codec do you use for saving out of avisynth/vdub? What is your editing package? I have run tests with the avid avi codec/Huffyuv/Uncomp RGB and a few of the DV codecs available - all with less than spectacular results. Some of the file sizes are huge (big deal) but the quality seems to suffer with the deintelace smooth/PAL deinterlace and DGbob filters. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I have to admit that i have only recently discovered avisynth and vdub. If you have a dependable workflow for interlaced DV to Progressive (25p is fine but I'll take whatever I can get) I'd love to hear it.

I (accidentally) produced some fantastic slowmotion DV with v-dub - better than anything I've done with re-timing software in a compositor, very smooth and free of artifacts - and it was VERY fast to process.

Thanks for any ideas,

DW.
David Warrilow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 07:51 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hey wow it sure is amazing to hear your reply never thought anyone would understand nor care.
Well the way i go throught this ugly step of interlaced footage is by applying "tomsmocomp" to avisynth so i take out the dll file from the installed components of tomsmocomp. I then move it to the same directory of my target file, target avi is (your file). I use avisynth to link the avi target file to the great "smart bob filter" (tomsmocomp) which will deinterlace footage in the best possible way. So now you have a avs file that includes something like this

Tomsmocomp
(1,5,10 true)
Target avi (balloon.avi)
(something around there but not exactly)
Well now you got your deinterlaced footage in 30fps. Get rid of the useless frames! So take that avs and import it into your good old Vdub. Fix up the video settings such as compression (i use huffyuv, yes your size is tremendous but i think it is a very good idea to start getting used to great size files heh) sound and frame rate. For frame rate i use the second interval where you export out frames instead of slowing the rate of film. Well there is your freedom try 24 if you wish it will size it down to 24fps or try 25 and import the file back in and slow down to 25 this time the first interval where you actually vary the rate of film. That is what i do and i think it works out great. But again i am an amateur and still learning. I hope i touched your question in some way or another.

By the way you can get tomsmocomp at avisynth site. If not, google it.
Dmitri Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 07:36 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi Dmitri,

since no one else has jumped on this - and since I'm having some major issues trying to get TMC to work at all, would you mail me please for some detailed avisynth questions? I sure would appreciate the help.

Thanks,

DW.
David Warrilow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production