DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Advanced Stop Trick Technique - Help!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/234989-advanced-stop-trick-technique-help.html)

Clayton Galea May 9th, 2009 05:54 AM

Advanced Stop Trick Technique - Help!!

When I was younger, my grandpa discovered an effect with his video camera while shooting a home video footage of my family. Yet then, he did not know that that effect was discovered years before and used in film making quite often. From what I have read, its called the Stop-Trick effect.

And now that young boy grew older and is into filmaking! I need some help guys as i would like to use this technique in a short which Im doing.....but with a twist!

From Wikipedia: "A stop trick is a film special effect. It occurs when an object is filmed, then while the camera is off, the object is moved out of sight of the camera, then the camera is turned back on. When the film is watched it thus seems to the viewer that object disappears"

In recent years, because of advanced digitally rendered techniques, this type of effect became much smoother in operation rather than just a cut to the following scene, providing cool on screen apparitions and on screen disappearances. (Particle illusion software has some particles which can be used specifically in this way)

The thing is that this effect is acquired only when the camera is not moved between shots. But I have seen in various occasions (which currently i cannot remember where) that a similar technique is used but the camera will be actually moving and not kept in the same spot, thus giving a more dynamic shot.

Example: The end result of a scene where a camera tracks forward on a dolly track while a person in the shot fades in and out doing different things to give a sense of passing time yet the camera keeps moving forward....any ideas how this is made?

I dont think its a question to use a green screen however.......i think its more that you have to film the shot twice or something like that anyway...but i really cant figure out how!

would appriciate your feedback! many thanks!

Clayton

Paul Cascio May 9th, 2009 07:25 AM

I see it on TV a lot, especially the "how it's done" shows. Usually the camera is stationary and a dissolve is used to enter and exit subjects. Sometimes the footage is shown in fast motion too.

Min Lee May 9th, 2009 07:54 AM

Have you considered scaling up the image in post instead of tracking the camera?

Rick L. Allen May 9th, 2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clayton Galea (Post 1140243)
I dont think its a question to use a green screen however.......i think its more that you have to film the shot twice or something like that anyway...but i really cant figure out how!

The effect in moving shots is done by a motion or computer controlled camera. The shot is done at least twice with and without the subjects with the camera making the exact same move. It can also be combined with green screen and advanced motion controlled software to track the subjects. It's relatively easy with a stationary shot but requires a big budget and expertise for moving shots.