Brainstorming idea for Web Reality Series - looking for feedback. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old May 15th, 2009, 02:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Brainstorming idea for Web Reality Series - looking for feedback.

This is still just in the brainstorming stages, but I was wondering if anyone had any input into this idea:

"Brian's Strange Sundays."

The idea: I make a posting on Craigslist's "Activity Partners" section for Austin. Then we meet up on Sundays for three hours, do the activity, film it, edit it, and put it on the Web.

Something like:

Wanted: Superhero Lessons.
--- Are you a superhero? Looking for superhero to teach superheroing lessons to curious newbie.

or

Wanted: Elaborate Practical Joke Organizer
--- Can you organize 15 people or more to pull off an elaborate, but non-mean spirited, practical joke? If so, I'd like to talk to you!

or

Wanted: Strange Cook
--- If it were featured on a reality TV show, would it be considered a "delicacy?" Chicken hearts, fried larvae... Hufu, the healthy alternative for vegetarian cannibals... whatever! I'm hungry and have a taste for adventure!

Looking for brainstorming ideas - both with the technical aspect and with the show concept. Ideally they'd all be done in less than 10 minutes.

-- Brian.
Old June 6th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #2
Major Player

The first one was actually done with Stan Lee; the second sounds like Ashton Kutcher's "Punk'd"; and the third one sounds like "Iron Chef".

I won't go within a mile of reality series, be they destined for TV or the web. Aside from the fact that I consider them to be creative black holes and that the web is still not viable as a source of revenue, you have so many people pitching reality TV concepts that everything has been done, or is being done right now.

The ONLY factor that makes a project successful anymore is star power. Two of the three reality shows I cited above are standard, tired concepts but with at least one celebrity to get people to tune in.

My recommendation is abandon the reality TV format and work on short fiction. More rewarding creatively as well as financially (and that's considering that shorts make very little money).

J.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production