Choosing equipment for feature length - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 01:39 PM   #16
MPS Digital Studios

The VUDU (VUDU - Home) caches the first few minutes of most of the films they have, so you can start watching immediately while it downloads in the background. HDX movies require you to download for a few hours.

The only short film that I know of that's made a lot of money is Alex Ferarri's Broken (BROKEN: A Tale by Alex Ferrari) and he and his team are terrific filmmakers and marketing/salespeople.

Heath
Old August 3rd, 2009, 03:29 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric Mannion View Post
I also don't know how one distributes a movie, or short.
In Canada, it's simple: you go to distributors at the pre-production stage looking for money. They turn you away at the door and tell you to come back when the movie's done and you've submitted it to festivals on your own dime. They they sign a contract, sit back and take 50% of all the sales resultig from the buzz you've generated at your own expense.

Me, bitter? Naw... ;-)

J.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
Aric,

If a movie that looks and sounds good is better than the story, direction, and acting, then why do movies like Stealth, The Island, Meet Dave, Land of the Lost, etc., all bomb?

Also, why did a $70 zombie movie get distribution?

Heath
Make sure you have a good sales agent

British zombie movie that cost just £45 to make is set to become surprise hit at Cannes | Mail Online

Although, I do rather suspect that he wasn't really adding up his costs over that 18 month shoot, buying his cast the cheap meal would blow that budget. But it sounds good for the marketing.

Also, he came at the overdone zombie horror movie subject matter from a different angle. The consumer camera look may help in this case.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
The only short film that I know of that's made a lot of money is Alex Ferarri's Broken (BROKEN: A Tale by Alex Ferrari) and he and his team are terrific filmmakers and marketing/salespeople.

Heath
Did they really make a lot of money?
Looking at that zombie movie it's hard to believe Cannes would have even watched it. I suspect a lot of that had to do with his sales agent who "suggested taking the movie to Cannes"
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #20
MPS Digital Studios

I hear that the $70 zombie movie is very clever. It beat out a lot of other higher budget movies to get into Cannes.

Roger Ebert reviewed and liked Broken and I know they did very well with DVD sales. They even have a "how to make an indie film look like a big budget film" featurette.

heath
Old August 4th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric Mannion View Post
Did they really make a lot of money?
Looking at that zombie movie it's hard to believe Cannes would have even watched it. I suspect a lot of that had to do with his sales agent who "suggested taking the movie to Cannes"
I haven't seen the movie so I can't tell for sure. But every time I've seen the latest dirt-cheap production generating a lot of buzz, it looked... well, dirt cheap, and the buzz was self-generated (buzz about buzz). And let's face it, the zombie genre is dead tired (no pun) and the expectations of the horror genre fans are very (very!) low. I haven't seen a good (i.e. not derivative to the extreme) horror movie in a long time.

As you said, "Colin" seems to be more about marketing than writing or technique, but even if it's so then kudos to the maker because that's also an important part of independent filmmaking.

J.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques E. Bouchard View Post
I haven't seen the movie so I can't tell for sure. But every time I've seen the latest dirt-cheap production generating a lot of buzz, it looked... well, dirt cheap, and the buzz was self-generated (buzz about buzz). And let's face it, the zombie genre is dead tired (no pun) and the expectations of the horror genre fans are very (very!) low. I haven't seen a good (i.e. not derivative to the extreme) horror movie in a long time.

As you said, "Colin" seems to be more about marketing than writing or technique, but even if it's so then kudos to the maker because that's also an important part of independent filmmaking.

J.
Now that you mention it I vaguely remember Blair Witch having promotional stunts, suggesting that the movie was real. Seems like one could have a lot of fun with marketing generating buzz, even if it's false.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #23
MPS Digital Studios

Aric,

Yes they did--www.blairwitch.com (the original one) made it seem like it was a "real" legend. Heck even the "1970s documentary" they did seemed like an authentic supernatural doc you'd see in the 1970s and re-run into the 2000s.

I did something like it with my film's website Skye's Cool Web Site to way less fanfare, but it was fun to take the lead character and have her "build" her own website. It also helped that I couldn't (and still can't) design websites so it looked unprofessional and I could get away with it.

Heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production