Guess the camera! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old July 15th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Guess the camera!

So, I've got a fun little game for you guys. So much can be debated about different cameras, and it seems one of the biggest compliments a camera can receive from most indie folks is how "film-like" it is.

I thought it would be fun to play a little guessing game, then. I'm going to post a sequence that I shot with a particular HD camera. The only tweaking done to it is a shift in the midtones towards yellow, and a decrease in color to about 25% of the original saturation. EDIT: The little tweaking that I'm talking about there is in reference to footage on the timeline. In camera quite a bit of tweaking was done to get the "film" look about where I wanted.

http://www.hall-e-woode.com/media/mtopen.mov

So, what camera is it?
Old July 15th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Freeman View Post
So, I've got a fun little game for you guys. So much can be debated about different cameras, and it seems one of the biggest compliments a camera can receive from most indie folks is how "film-like" it is.

I thought it would be fun to play a little guessing game, then. I'm going to post a sequence that I shot with a particular HD camera. The only tweaking done to it is a shift in the midtones towards yellow, and a decrease in color to about 25% of the original saturation. EDIT: The little tweaking that I'm talking about there is in reference to footage on the timeline. In camera quite a bit of tweaking was done to get the "film" look about where I wanted.

So, what camera is it?
Hmm...

I don't see interlacing artifacts, so it's probably able to record progressive. Framerate looks like it's 30p. Long DOF so I'm guessing it's a 1/3" sensor, and noisy blacks.

I'm guessing a Canon HF10, though a Sony HR11 might also fit.
Old July 15th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #3
Major Player

Actually a bit more high end than that. I will say the frame rate is actually 24p at 1/48th. Also shot with stretched blacks, which I have noticed causes some noise in the blacks (however, I feel it is worth the increased shadow detail -- I hate pressed blacks that edge out detail).
Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Tough one! I'd say 1/3" sensor (dof), 720/24p (no interlacing) at 1/60th with some gamma-settings. A bit noisy but lens seems to be decent (no CA in your tele shots). The video looks good, though!

The footage doesn't look like a JVC HD camcorder, so my guess would be one of the Pana AG series camcorders. Not the higher-end HPX300 or 500, more like a HPX170 or 200, maybe a Sony V1U?. Don't know and I am curious!
Stefan Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:38 PM   #5
New Boot

re: So, what camera is it?

Quote:
So, what camera is it?
Canon 5D Mark II?
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:07 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Not Canon 5D... depth of field to deep.

Guessing Canon XH A1
Old July 24th, 2009, 04:31 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Nice latitude, DVX with Andromeda mod.
Frank Brodkorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:

So, what camera is it?
Your signature "Canon XH-A1, Final Cut Studio 2, Vegas Pro 8.0 " makes me think it's an A1 ...without even looking at the clip.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
Your signature "Canon XH-A1, Final Cut Studio 2, Vegas Pro 8.0 " makes me think it's an A1 ...without even looking at the clip.
Ha ha - that made me think "anything but the A1..."

So it's been 12 days since the original post. Are you going to tell us?
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:18 AM   #10
Equal Opportunity Offender

A Sony V1 shooting in progressive. Picture profile customised for the required look.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 07:25 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Still waiting - Now what?
Frank Brodkorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #12
Trustee

His statistics say he hasn't been on for three weeks. We may never know.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #13
Major Player

We may never know, but considering the cleanliness of the encode, i'm willing to take a stab at something that was filmed in 720P....Just a guess.
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #14
Equal Opportunity Offender

How annoying. Almost like those twitter accounts with only one post and never getting updated. You know, like .... "Chest pain. Should I go to hospital?".

Bit of a shame. Do hope that he turns up again.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 12:42 PM   #15
Regular Crew

this is not a fun game.
Stanley Law is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production