Magic Bullet/Double 16x9 update... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:42 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I saw Camp Slaughter. The look is incredible. Did you make the color correction or did you use any pre-set magic bullet look?

How did you capture the sound? I didn´t see any shotgun mic or boom.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:10 AM   #17
Major Player

Joel: All the extras have english subtitles. Just dial them up on your remote.

Trevor: You can send the script to martin@NOSPAMoperafilm.com (remove NOSPAM). I'll be gone for a few weeks but I'll try to read it and get back to you when I return.

Gustavo: No presets. It's a combination of Magic Bullet and Digital Film Lab and a few After Effects adjustments. All of the film was post synced. We used none of the actual dialog.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:04 AM   #18
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Martin Munthe : Joel: All the extras have english subtitles. Just dial them up on your remote.

Oh, great! Not sure how I missed that...
Joel Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2004, 11:45 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I was wondering, was it a pain getting around the vignetting from the 16x9 adaptor? Also did you find the zoom with the adaptor sufficient for your needs? I keep hearing about how limited the zoom range is on that adaptor. Anyways, trailer looked real nice!
Gerald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 08:21 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Hi Martin,

Saw your post, downloaded the trailer, ordered from CustomFlix and within a week I was watching your film in Sydney, Australia. Something that wouldn't have been possible a couple of years ago! You gotta love that!

Loved your film, had a real TCM/Friday 13th feel - exactly what you were going for, and pulled off well (Embrace the cliche! It's what horror fans love, oh, and butt naked teens).

I'm in pre-prod currently on "I Know How Many Runs You Scored Last Summer" - a farcical exploitation slasher (main protagonist is a cricket player... we're talking NICHE here!)... so I'll be coming back to this forum with questions and updates on production in the next few months.

Just a QUESTION for you all out there, just how much better is the image when you use an anamorphic lens rather than just cropping a standard image down to 2.35:1 ?

A Century Precision anamorphic lens for my JVC GY-DV301E (lovely and underrated camera, btw) will set me back $675US, but no-one in Australia has one for sale, so there's no way I can test it.

Another QUESTION... I'm thinking of upconverting the 720x576 image up to HD to perform grading and Magic Bulletting, then converting back down to SD to render out for DVD - does this sound a good workflow to anyone who's got the knowledge?

I bought Camp Slaughter to support the indie film scene... go buy it yourselves too!

Cheers, Doug.
Doug Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2004, 03:35 AM   #21
Major Player

Gerald: Yes, the vignetting is really annoying. And it limits the zoom. You have to move the camera instead of zooming.

Doug: Glad you liked it. Cricket sound like virgin territory for the horror genre. Go get 'em.

The image isn't better using this type of set up for 2.35:1. Just different. I like anamorphic behavior in the image. Flares become blue streaks across the image and it's a different feel from spherical. But overall the image isn't as sharp since your adding glass in fron of glass. If your going for clean and sharp I'd shoot straight with no adapters.

The image won't get any better from scaling it up to HD and then back again. Scaling is a destructive process to the compression algorithms. Magic Bullet is also a destructive process that "softens" the image a bit. There is really no way to deinterlace an interlaced image without loosing some of the resolution. MB does a good job since it cleans out a lot of artifacting that the deinterlacing process creates (like jaggy edges) but it's not perfect. It should only be used if you can't tell the story without the progressive "film motion" feel and you've only got a camera that shoots interlaced. You save image resolution and vast amounts of rendering time by using a progressive camera. Magic Bullet Look Suite however is an excellent tool for color grading the footage into more film like behavior. The best I've found so far. Some people claims that you can do everything that MB does using AE standard plugins. That's not true. The behavior of the "camera filters" in Look Suite is unique for MB. I've been using AE for nine years and I could never recreate the white promist and black promist settings using only AE. Used the right way they are actually great noise reducers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production