Buying the best camera possible to achieve a film look and feel - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old July 1st, 2004, 07:05 PM   #16
Major Player

NO other cam but the DVX. :)
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2004, 01:20 AM   #17
Wrangler

IMHO neither of them look like film, and you are all crazy. :)

However, if you can't afford 16mm, I think the DVX is the next best choice.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 10:44 AM   #18
Major Player

LOL

Im one of those 'cant afford film' types. :/
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2004, 11:36 AM   #19
Major Player

Most people who can afford them won't visit this forum ;-)

Peter
Old July 13th, 2004, 02:39 AM   #20
Tourist

During my 17 years stint as a videomaker for the office I've used KY-15, KY-19E, DVCPRO610W(2/3"), DVCPRO50, DVC200, DVC15, NVMX350, NVMX500, DSR300, XL1-S and DVX100.

Those who wish to go for richer colours would prefer Panasonic products especially the DVCPROs and SONY DSR300 has a more natural like colour(less colourful) compared to DVCPROs mixed together during MCP.

Canon's XL1-S is remarkably designed for that professional look but dissapoints me during manual focussing, but it has the right size and weight balance. The RCA audio output/input is a turndown. The picture quality is exceptional at 320,000 pixels.

SONY products has always been a great choice but you might want to try Panasonic who actually pioneered the digital video technology. You might have heard about the D5 broadcast format.

If you wish to have a professional feel on a cheap DV camera with a filmlike look, than I would suggest the DVX100 or the latest DVX100A. It produces 410,000 pixels. Try the F5 and F6 set-up, then write to me. I'm not really a knowhow person but I've already bought a used one for my hobby after having tried a few other models.

Malaysian TVNews stringers prefer DVX100. Easier for them to take overhead shots during press interviews with the LCD viewfinder which the XL1-s doesn't have.

Believe me, my shots at the Yara River in Melbourne last December were excellent.
Old July 13th, 2004, 03:03 AM   #21
RED Code Chef

Just so everybody knows, the new XL2 has been announced.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 07:43 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Sometimes it's just adjusting setting on the camera. There are also filters you can buy, and stuff you can do in post.

You should do a search on this subject... "film look". There's a TON of stuff on it. I have a VX2000 and made some adjustments to my custom settings per the suggestions on this board. It helped alot. VX2000's (at least in my opinion) colors are overly saturated, and the contrast seems very sharp so I adjusted these 2 things to make the colors more subtle and the contrast a little more soft. Those 2 adjustments are a start.

VX2000's run about $3000. They have since been updated to VX2100. I'm not sure what those cost... probably around the same.

Linda Schodowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 08:22 AM   #23
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Linda Schodowsky : VX2000's run about $3000. They have since been updated to VX2010. I'm not sure what those cost... probably around the same. -->>>

Linda, the VX-2100 is the replacement for the VX-2000. It currently sells for $2,350 at B&H Photo. I doubt that you can find a new VX-2000 anymore, but used ones should certainly be well under $2,000.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 02:27 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Wow! They went way down in price!

Joshua -

I also wish to add that you will probably pay a bit more for a quality camera... I don't know if that makes any difference in achieving the "film look".

I lucked out, but I advise you to be careful of this... here's what I did. I went to "half" - a branch off of e-bay, where you pay the set price being advertised. I bought my VX2000, an extra battery, a 3 year warranty, a light and a huge case to put it all in along with a couple other extras - all for $2,300. I bought if from a film-school graduate who used it maybe 3 times. He got a job working for the federal government where he uses a camera all the time, and never had time to use this camera - he got it as a graduation present. It arrived in pristine condition... even had the sales receipt with it. He even gave me his home phone number should I have any questions... which I did. He was very helpful.

But... I would use caution, and wouldn't recommend buying from e-Bay, unless somebody on this board had positive experiences with e-Bay. Like I said, I went on "Half-bay"... e-Bay has a link that will take you there. Check it out... but be careful! Maybe you will get the results that I did.

Good luck with buying a camera! As for the "film look"... I can only speak for the VX2000.
Linda Schodowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2004, 09:04 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Ive found myself looking around finding out what I can about the "best" way to achieve a specific look in a movie. I've been reading the books, watching movies for ideas. When it comes down to it, you could debate all day about what is the best process without having tried them at all, but the most important thing to do is go out there, shoot movies, and learn what you like and dont like, take whatever resources you have available. Speaking of which, I need to go shoot a movie!!!
Christopher Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 12:22 AM   #26
New Boot

JVC JYHD10U I Challenge you to spot the difference (there is 1 buts thats not so bad)

The issues with the JVC and the 1ccd doesn't matter. I was skeptical at first then started playing with the camera. It comes down to the final product not the specs.....if it looks good hell with it. I challenge anybody to spot the difference in an A B test between film and digital hd. I have an Arriflex 16mm, and a jvc hdv and a gl2 and an xl1s. I have comparison footage of each. The jvc against the arriflex can look better.....but the gl2 in the right hands for example: my partner ,can blow the socks off most peoples footage. The same goes for the JVC, set the shots up right and you can blow the doors off film. These cameras are a cheaper version HD camera but the final result has the same resolution as the $100,000 units. So all these tools are GREAAAAT but if not used properly they do not reach their potential. I hate to agree with Robert Rodriguez BUT FILM IS DEAD..........IT WILL BE REPLACED. BUUUUUUUTTTTTT there will still be those who are skilled and those who are not......hell theres a guy over on the jvc HDV threads already hooking up 35mm lenses to this thing and the results are good...he's a guy that will get this camera to its full potential and there will be those who are still whining cause VHS is gone..........NEGATIVITY fuels me....keep it comin' people.
Oh and before anyone gets up in arms......I am a sarcastic bastard and I love people who say it can't be done....because there are many of us who love to prove those wrong.
SO smile everybody and keep fillin' up the film cans........(or for dv fans those little plastic cartridge thingies)
MP

MP
SO
Morgan Preston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production