DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Shooting backwards while actors walk toward camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/298441-shooting-backwards-while-actors-walk-toward-camera.html)

James Patrick August 19th, 2009 06:01 PM

Shooting backwards while actors walk toward camera

Not sure if this is the correct place to post..

I am a newbie, looking for advice on how to film actors walking towards the camera while the camera moves backwards.. is this accomplished via a dolly or is there a dolly-less way that will accomplish this same thing and not look herky-jerky?

I need to shoot an actor walking and singing lyrics for a music video.
It will be shot on a street sidewalk and the actors steps will be in synch with the music tempo (moderate tempo)

any ideas?

Adam Gold August 19th, 2009 07:00 PM

In film school we always used a wheelchair... you sit in the wheelchair, shooting, while someone turns around so you are back to back and pulls you backwards. Works great.

Don Bloom August 19th, 2009 07:16 PM

In order of preferance,

Dolly, Steadicam, Wheelchair, Shopping Cart.

Charles Papert August 19th, 2009 07:59 PM

Since we are talking about an uneven surface here (sidewalk), I'd put Steadicam at the head of the list. There have been untold numbers of music videos with this scenario shot on Steadicam. The better the operator, the more dolly-like it will appear.

Oren Arieli August 20th, 2009 10:09 AM

The technique of walking backwards with a steadycam is called the Don Juan (not that anyone was asking). For the less experienced operator, it can also be done walking forward, but you're talking a greater risk that the framing won't be as good. Still, on a wide shot with a fixed distance between you and the subject and a 'dialed-in' steadycam rig, you'll have an easier time of it. If you're on a quiet street, you can sit in the back of a pickup truck/SUV and film your subject with ease (so long as you're not worried about ambient sounds and traffic.

Shaun Roemich August 20th, 2009 02:23 PM

As well, throwing a wide angle lens into the mix helps to minimize any jostling regardless of your method of "stabilization".

James Patrick August 20th, 2009 03:12 PM

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

Is there such a thing as an entry level steadicam?
I have seen posts about the Glidecam 2000..

Is it possible to get a decent setup for under $2000?

James

Charles Papert August 20th, 2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oren Arieli (Post 1246815)
The technique of walking backwards with a steadycam is called the Don Juan (not that anyone was asking). For the less experienced operator, it can also be done walking forward, but you're talking a greater risk that the framing won't be as good.

"Don Juan" actually refers to the orientation of the operator to the lens, generally operator walking forward with lens facing backwards. The counterpart is the "Missionary" position in which the lens is facing the same direction as the operator.

Most of us would tackle the above shot in Missionary, backing up. The vast majority of working Steadicam operators will avoid Don Juan at all costs (some never do it), even going so far as to climb or descend stairs backwards. I myself have never been able to comfortably tackle stairs this way so I have to resort to Don Juan, however reluctantly (ugh!).

I'm not really sure it's accurate that a less experienced operator would be more likely to do a walking shot in Don Juan, but agreed that the framing wouldn't be as good regardless of the experience level.

Anyway...James, there are indeed entry level Steadicams, provided your camera is light enough. At around $800, there is the Merlin; also worth looking at in this price range is the Blackbird (non-Steadicam brand). I am personally not a huge fan of the Glidecam handheld rigs but they are cheap and widely available used to boot. There are a wide number of other rigs out there that are variations/knockoffs of either the Merlin or Glidecam design, often out of India or China and available on eBay. As always, you get what you pay for.

Don Bloom August 20th, 2009 06:22 PM

just a bit OT, Charles, I still LOVE that shot. To me, one of the top 2 or 3 steadicam shots I have ever seen. AWESOME! Props.
(lovefest over ;-)

Charles Papert August 20th, 2009 07:07 PM

Thanks Don, but for me, that one's been trumped (and admirably so) in the years that followed. Here's a great one from "Flightplan". My jaw dropped the first time I saw this shot. Flawless.

Niall Chadwick November 3rd, 2009 04:45 AM

blimey. Thats impressive. You almost dont notice that its a steadicam shot

Brian Drysdale November 3rd, 2009 08:51 AM

Yes, I tend to keep the Don Juan only for when more speed is required, the downside being the framing isn't as accurate.

Hard mounting is even better!! The grip does all the hard work.

Peter Damo November 4th, 2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert (Post 1248491)
Thanks Don, but for me, that one's been trumped (and admirably so) in the years that followed. Here's a great one from "Flightplan". My jaw dropped the first time I saw this shot. Flawless.

Charles, was the door opening direction changed for a 'reason'?

Shaun Roemich November 4th, 2009 05:53 PM

Charles: I had NO IDEA you operated on AH X, one of my all time favourite movies! Thanks for sharing!

Charles Papert November 5th, 2009 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Damo (Post 1442805)
Charles, was the door opening direction changed for a 'reason'?

Sorry Peter, can you be more specific?