DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Ultracon filter? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/29978-ultracon-filter.html)

George Su August 2nd, 2004 05:10 PM

Ultracon filter?

has anybody used the Ultracon 3 on the DVX100 ?? I've gotten good results from the Lo-Con, and i'm wondering if the Ultracon is worth anything.

Charles Papert August 2nd, 2004 07:20 PM

George:

Try searching the archives under Ultra-con. We've talked plenty about this filter in the past. It's a feisty filter and can be handy, but requires some attention and experimentation.

Ken Hodson August 5th, 2004 07:48 PM

We use an ultraCon on our JVC HD10. It is great. It really helps to stretch the low latitude of video (blowen out whites). One trick I use is underexpose as the ultraCon will compensate, then pull up your levels in post. Don't go for a perfect image off you preview monitor. It may look dark but the ultraCon gives you lots of shades when you lift the levels later. Although HDV gives blacker blacks then DV so you may have to experiment.

Kevin Burnfield August 8th, 2004 09:53 AM

the film PERSONAL VELOCITY was entirely shot using an Ultra Con 1. I bought one immediately and have been pretty happy with it.

Charles Papert August 9th, 2004 10:27 AM

Sounds good Kevin. I would want to add to your comments that in my experience, the Ultracon is not a "set and forget" type of filter; some scenes need more or less filter strength and some don't need it at all. Panning from a high contrast area to a flatter area will mean a shift in the blacks. Also footage shot with an Ultracon will generally require color correction work to return the blacks to normal.

Kevin Burnfield August 9th, 2004 08:21 PM

Absolutely... I didn't mean to imply that it was a 'set and forget' filter.

I've got a couple of Ultra Cons but like the 1 the best of the bunch for a subtle effect that I get but in some situations it's not good at all.

Any more after spending the last 6 months and substantial money in learning color correction techniques and theory I've gotten fairly good at it and love being able to "crush" those blacks down. :) BUT.. it is an art form above all else.

Thanks for pointing that out, Charles.

Charles Papert August 10th, 2004 12:07 AM

Indeed Kevin. There is a tendency for folks to search for what we used to call a "Magic Bullet" until the software of the same name made that phrase confusing...! i.e., "which one filter can I buy to make my video look like film?" or "If I use the filter that was used on a Sundance-winning film, my film will win next year, right?" We just like to keep it real for the peeps! Thank YOU for the understanding...

Kevin Lee August 10th, 2004 12:15 AM

Whats with Kevins and Ultra-Con 1s.?
I've got one as well and have engaged discussions on it with Charles before.

Have yet to use it though.

Kevin Burnfield August 10th, 2004 05:56 AM

NO! I WAS THE FIRST Kevin !!! ;)

Charles, you know more about this stuff half asleep and mostly drunk then I ever will... I hear and obey when it comes to your insights. :) (bow)(scrape)(bow)

Charles Papert August 10th, 2004 06:56 AM

<<Charles, you know more about this stuff half asleep and mostly drunk>>

Ah, you've heard about my preferred work style then.

Kevin Lee August 10th, 2004 07:17 AM

There is a cetain fluidity in movement when one is high on yeast.