how to get superslomotion in hollywood movies? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old January 20th, 2005, 11:41 AM   #46
Major Player

dimitr,

rocking slowmotion movies..especially the movie with the 2 friends moving to a door. great.

checking out retimer.

thnx

time for some new matrix scenes!!!
Jose di Cani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2005, 07:58 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Yeah, haha.
--
Actually, I'm pretty sick of all the matrix scenes and all :). Although I came up with a cheap way to do the bulleti-time multi-camera effect. It just requires some skill from the actors to be able to freeze :D. Also involves green screen and a rotating office chair =).
Dmitry Kichenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 12:02 PM   #48
Major Player

Heh,

I saw that movie once here. I can remeber a matrix kind of look with the help of green screens and stuff. I know how it works and it is a hell of a job to get things the right way. I don't like matrix as well by the way. I slept when matrix was on 50%. I hate typical american action-movies. I prefer the real stuff, drama and daily life. BUt in romantic scenes, it is also so sexy to use super slo-mo's. It really adds something.
Old February 9th, 2005, 12:10 PM   #49
Regular Crew

It's not that I don't like the Matrix at all - actually, it is one of the best Hollywood action movies out there, in terms of philosophy in the plot, effort put it, and VFX, of course. Luckily, Washowski (hope, spelt it right) really took good care of their baby. Not as much the case with Reloaded and Revolutions though, I think.
Anyhow, after the Matrix came out, the freezing-time effect became really pop. I did a lot of research on the topic, and there's basically two ways you can do it. If you're interested, I can explain in detail and post some links.
--
Also, as to romantic scenes, the bullet-time like mating dream of the main character in Fight Club is CG, not real. Here's a few images from the MentalRay render used to generate images out of 3D graphics (used with most 3D software like Maya, 3dsmax, and Softimage XSI):
http://www.mentalimages.com/4_1_motion_pictures/index.html
(scroll down to Fight Club).
Old February 11th, 2005, 07:00 PM   #50
Major Player

thnks for the link. My brother is architect and knows how to handle 3dstudio pretty well. I've done a couple of animation short movies myself. And I am also a musician (9 years of digital musicmaking wiht my pc). SO you understand why I am so interested in slomotions and movies. In this digital era, everything is posible. You don't have to be smart or rich to make a good movie. The simplier, the better. Even silly home-made cartoons sell. The thing is that you can't really create something with presets and tutorials. You need an idea and you need to have some talent (musical, theater, graphics).

Gonna check the pics out. thanks
Old February 11th, 2005, 08:41 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Yeah, actually I make music on my PC myself. Not the Fruity kind of thing. Cubase, a lot of VST FX and VSTi-s, post-mastering in Wavelab. That's what my problem is now - I doubt which direction to choose to stick with: film, music, or, preferable, both. You always need soundtracks for the films, don't you. :)
Old February 25th, 2005, 12:22 PM   #52
New Boot

Shoot at 60i or 60p. If you are working with 24 fps. You already have 40% slow motion (24/60=.4).

What I do is shoot my footage in ALL 60i. I first deinterlace the frames, so my 60i is now 60p (using motion compensation-- AviSynth). Then convert the scenes with no slow-motion from 60p to 24p. The slow motion scenes I want, I will isolate and just use the script:

AVISource("x:\your_dv.avi")
#deinterlace 60i to 60p
TDeint()

#take 60 fields and put them on a 24p timeline
AssumeFps(23.967)

You now have your 60p material sitting on a 24p timeline (which is 40% slow motion).
Josh Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #53
Regular Crew

That's swell. Also, for fast moving objects the shortest available shutter speed should be set.
By the way, what camera do you have, Josh?
Old February 25th, 2005, 10:47 PM   #54
New Boot

I have a Sony VX2000. It works really well. I usually bring it in to AVISynth to deinterlace, color correct, convert to 24p, and sharpen it (being sure not to over-sharpen and create halos).
Josh Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 01:55 AM   #55
New Boot

my advanced magicpix shoots silky smooth slow when used during the day
Joe Amato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 02:00 AM   #56
New Boot

On my panasonic gs-400
Joe Amato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2005, 04:10 AM   #57
New Boot

solution for very slow motion

there is a plugin called Twixtor, this plug is avesome for slomo, it interpolate nearest frames to generate other frames. has a lot of algorytms that analize the objects in each frame and theyr movements, results are very good, it was used in Blade and other actions movies for time related sfx
Mihnea De Vries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 07:17 PM   #58
Regular Crew

I've just given that Slowmotion software a try (the one that's actually called SlowMotion) and it's pretty cool. The good thing is that it is very easy to use - there's pretty much nothing to configure, except the export location and compression type... So it either works or doesn't, depending on the clip. It seems the more movement is already in the clip, the more you'll notice the "morphing" going on. But for such a cheap piece of software, it works really well.
Old March 8th, 2005, 08:04 PM   #59
Regular Crew

I've played with a demo of Twixter over the weekend, and it's really awesome.
It is a lot better than Retimer, though no motion blur is still preferable.
As opposed to what many sources say, I got the smoothest results with the interlaced footage. Many artifacts started appearing around my actor after I deinterlaced the footage with Magic Bullet, and render times increased at least by a factor of 2, but image looks smoother when deinterlaced.
I need to obtain some more footage with various straight and diagonal lines on the background and see how things work out with the same footage deinterlaced, but so far I can say that I'd go with slowing the interlaced footage down and deinterlacing it afterwards. At least, that's how it works best for me at this point.

* Note - Retimer is quite the opposite of Twixtor, and with interlaced footage, even with the input fields set to lower or upper, the results are horrible. Though I like the Twixtor's algorithm more. I got less artifacts with deinterlaced footage from Twixtor than with the same footage from Retimer.
Old March 15th, 2005, 05:23 AM   #60
Major Player

NOt lots of options are being offered today! A pitty. Twixtor is really the best solutiong. Even Adobe premier or vegas can't handle nice super-sexy-slo-motion scenes. I am talking about an easy preset.

I am testing some other solutions out. I am working with mixing 2 identical scenes one on top of the other, adding extra scenes between scenes and using motion blurring as a tool. Very hard to get that slomotion but it also depends on your footage (background-foreground).
Jose di Cani is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production