how to get superslomotion in hollywood movies? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old March 15th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #61
Regular Crew

I don't think there is Any "Click once and get the best results" solution for anything involving art. Especially in mid-end apps range like Adobe Premiere or Vegas.
Dmitry Kichenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #62
Major Player

I just bought twixtor PRo 4.5 plug-in for adobe after effects 6.5. I must say that I have been testing with every kind of camcorder. Even my webcam shots are bad in quality but playing around with them, you get to know the power of twixtor. It's an expensive plug-in but the best you can get for slo-motions (example: blond girl from destiny child's kind of videos, with J-ZEA).

The motion vector and blend options are very sophisticated. Of cours, you need to go through a long tutorial but it is worth while. You can downlaod the tutorial at their site. I am now trying to create some slow micheal jackson dance moves and see what I get. I am also gonna try some slapping/kicking action . Keep it simple, otherwise it will to hard to get good results.,

Nothing more.
Jose di Cani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2005, 04:56 PM   #63
Regular Crew

It's been a while since I made that post, but I have tested Twixtor further and it indeed seems like the best slow mo solution. Same golden rules - steady shots, the least artifacts possible, and you can get even ultra slow mo shots.
I bet with that addition to DVX100 that let's you record uncompressed signal, you can get simply jawdropping ulta slow-mos.
Old August 14th, 2005, 07:10 PM   #64
Regular Crew

Jaw dropping slow-mo from shake 4.

Hey Guys,
I've been testing with shake 4 and I cannot believe how good the slow-mo is. Here is a test I did with a car driving up at 20mph. This was shot on an FX-1:

http://www.expertmagic.com/dvinfo/911out.mov

THIS IS VERY SLOW-MO, you need to watch very very close to see the car moving. If you still can't drag the playhead back and forth to see the movement.

I also first separated the fields to frames, then comformed to 24p. So I was able to start out already at 40%. Overall this is running at .4% of real time, which is just insane. Basically slower than I could ever need.

Thanks,
Eric James
http://www.expertmagic.com/
Eric James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2005, 08:44 PM   #65
Regular Crew

Yeah, that's very similar to what I got with Twixtor, but even slower!
Awesome.
You guys with HD cams - next assignment to test Twixtor on:
Try something that consists of many particles. Like an object dropped in water or glass breaking in pieces. You of cors have to use the shortest shutter setting you have to not have motion blur.
Also, another cool shot is someone with long hair jumpin up and spreading their arms and legs in the air. I've tried that one, and it turned out pretty good, only some DV artifacts affected the overall image movement.
Old August 14th, 2005, 08:50 PM   #66
Regular Crew

Gotta love technology!

Just a year ago I wouldn't have thought this type of slow-mo from video was ever possible.

-Eric James
Eric James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 05:27 AM   #67
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry Kichenko
Awesome.
Try something that consists of many particles. Like an object dropped in water or glass breaking in pieces. You of cors have to use the shortest shutter setting you have to not have motion blur.
Also, another cool shot is someone with long hair jumpin up and spreading their arms and legs in the air. I've tried that one, and it turned out pretty good, only some DV artifacts affected the overall image movement.
Hello

i would be interested to see this particle effect you talk of can anyone try this and post the results up please.

thanks
Jim Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 12:29 PM   #68
Regular Crew

There's a super-slo-mo camera system from about twenty years back, which ran the film so fast that a mechanical shutter was out of the question...so the engineers devised a spinning prism system that laid each frame onto the film as it sped past the aperture, without slowing or stopping for each frame.

Of course, afterwards every frame had to be scanned and re-registered onto standard stock; the prism-approach introduced a lot of jitter.

Best example of footage from this camera that I've seen, is the "Genesis Explosion" from the end of "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan." They blew up the miniature using white phosporus, and you can distinctly see the spherical shock front travelling outwards as the model disintegrates...
Karl J Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 03:09 PM   #69
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry Kichenko
Awesome.
Hi

Can anyone try this and post it up please i don’t have twixtor and would be interested to see how well this works.

thanks
Jim Rog is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production