shooting in the cold at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old December 6th, 2004, 04:52 PM   #1
Tourist

shooting in the cold

I just purchased an XL2 and my first assignment is to shoot for "Flight for Life" a helicopter service that brings accident victims out of the mountains of Colorado.
We are going to re create an avalanche my concern is shooting in what might be sub 0 weather. Any suggestions? Or should I worry at all shooting video in that kind of weather? Thanks
Jim Phelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 06:08 PM   #2
Major Player

bring lots of batteries and keep 'em warm!

Honestly though, if you can find an adapter so you can keep the batteries in your pocket (and therefore warm) you will be set.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 06:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Shooting in the cold is kind of tricky. If the camera is sitting in a nice warm vehicle and you bring it out into the frigid cold air you can get moisture and condensation everywhere, the lens, the tape, the internal workings. Let it acclimate slowly by setting the camera bag outside for a while before you shoot. (it also works the same the other way, from cold to warm but it is usually worse so be careful when you are done)
Keep the batteries (and lots of them) nice and warm in your jacket pockets. They sell jackets for different cameras just for this sort of thing, but you could probably make a little one by wrapping it in something soft and warm. Unless it's really cold out (below 15 degrees or so) I wouldn't worry too much. I lived and worked in the Colorado mountains for 7 years and it's not usually that bad, in fact it's usually TOO sunny, and too bright from the snow, so bring circular polarizers and lots of big ND filters.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2005, 09:34 PM   #4
New Boot

Yeah, the same thing that happens in a warm car when its cold outside. I would get a kata glove for your camera if you plan on being in the cold alot, they seem to insulate well and make the camera more comfortable.
Jim Sowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 04:29 PM   #5
Inner Circle

PortaBrace makes a Polar Bear cover for the XL2.
www.portabrace.com

Model number for XL2: POL-25
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2005, 02:05 AM   #6
Regular Crew

WE shot a snowbaording video for Japan in the snow (duh).
We had one camera get whipped out by a snoweboarder going about 80kmh...camera was fine after drying it in front of a heater.
If that can happen to us, then I'm sure you'll be fine.
The threshhold of digital cameras is astonishing.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 05:19 AM   #7
Major Player

I know the sony cams are built like tanks, I dropped my PD150 (well I didn't, my rucksack fell open and it fell to the concrete) and the only problem was I needed to do a reset as the gain/mic controls went nuts (I presumed it was a hardware failure, but all is good now).

If I'm ever caught in a firefight, I'll use my 150 to deflect bullets away from me!
James Connors is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production