DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Good ideas for Geurilla type marketing? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/39509-good-ideas-geurilla-type-marketing.html)

Brent Marks February 14th, 2005 10:07 PM

Good ideas for Geurilla type marketing?

We are creating a weekly tv show...

Just wondered if you guys had any ideas or input on different marketing ideas?

Would love to hear what everyone has to think on this subject!

THANKS!

Mathieu Ghekiere February 15th, 2005 12:49 PM

Hey,

On the making off from 12 monkeys they had a poster campaign that went like this: they put in some newspaper a symbol, a monkey. beneath it just: 1 monkey.
A page or 2 pages later, another monkey: 2 monkeys.

And it went on, to the end of the paper, where there was: 12 monkeys, they're coming soon!

But people didn't know it was a movie!

So my advice, or idea would be: a campaign or marketing where people will ask themselves questions about what it exactly is, and if then at the end you make clear it's a show, many people will watch it :-p Well, I hope for you :-)

Good luck!

Mitchell Stookey February 15th, 2005 12:53 PM

I think that the internet is a very powerful advertising tool, and obviously you can't beat positive word of mouth. I always show all my friends everything that I find on the internet that is funny or good, and I am sure many others do the same. Once it is up and running you could post a link on this website, I am sure people would watch it and that would be a start.

Mathieu Ghekiere February 15th, 2005 01:35 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Mitchell Stookey : I think that the internet is a very powerful advertising tool, and obviously you can't beat positive word of mouth. I always show all my friends everything that I find on the internet that is funny or good, and I am sure many others do the same. Once it is up and running you could post a link on this website, I am sure people would watch it and that would be a start. -->>>

Yes, you're right: The Blair Witch Project became a huge hit by it, and it is stated as one of the first movies that was promoted via the internet!

Rusty Williams February 15th, 2005 06:43 PM

Hey, Brent...

I'm currently doing the same typpe of marketing. - I'm not sure how good it is, but if you want to check out what I've got going for possible ideas, it's

http://www.onelastkill.com

Marco Leavitt February 16th, 2005 07:52 AM

I thought the guy who made Pi had a really good idea. When it opened in New York City he made a stencil and spray painted the symbol in crosswalks all over town. He must have put a lot of time into it, because that symbol was everywhere. It worked with me. I was so intrigued I started asking around, and that's how I first heard of the movie.

Joe Carney February 16th, 2005 12:54 PM

What about that movie in Grand Rapids Michigan? Uncle Dino or something similar?
Stars Joe Montagna.

They got a local megplex to play it on one of their screens and it's been selling out for over a year. Saw the story on CNN.
sound like a great idea to get word of mouth on your feature.

Dylan Couper February 16th, 2005 08:02 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Marco Leavitt : I thought the guy who made Pi had a really good idea. When it opened in New York City he made a stencil and spray painted the symbol in crosswalks all over town. He must have put a lot of time into it, because that symbol was everywhere. It worked with me. I was so intrigued I started asking around, and that's how I first heard of the movie. -->>>

Isn't that vandalism?

Marco Leavitt February 17th, 2005 07:37 AM

Well, those were the Giuliani days, so if it were me, I would have been worried. I never heard that he got busted though. In any case, with the type of traffic they have in New York City I'm sure it didn't take long for the paint to wear away and disappear.

Elliot Press February 20th, 2005 01:26 AM

The marketting strategy for the original (and still the best) Matrix was extremely clever.
Their "what is the matrix" campaign was brilliantly concieved and executed...and it did leave everyone wondering WTF the Matrix was.
How did people find out?
By visiting the Matrix homepage and/or seeing the film.
Success!