DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Are all DV Films (Open Water, Bamboozled, Tadpole) done in 60i or 30i? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/39575-all-dv-films-open-water-bamboozled-tadpole-done-60i-30i.html)

James A. Davis February 15th, 2005 06:27 PM

Are all DV Films (Open Water, Bamboozled, Tadpole) done in 60i or 30i?

Where they too all at 60i or did they learn not to shoot at 30i as time progressed to shoot at that rate?

Shannon Rawls February 15th, 2005 06:39 PM

all those you listed were done in 60i regular SONY DV cameras. Bamboozled was done with 1 3chip VX1000, and about 10 other 1chip Sony handycams placed all over the set to get differnt shots. it took them 20 seconds to roll & slate all cameras before they yelled action! Open Water was done with a PD150 and a VX2000, sold to lionsgate for $2.4 million...made about $40 million. Tadpole....I'm not sure.

- ShannonRawls.com

Richard Alvarez February 15th, 2005 07:02 PM

Tadpole was shot on pd150 in PAL.

James A. Davis February 15th, 2005 08:20 PM

I don't think Tadpole was shot in PAL. It believe it was NTSC. 28 Days later was PAL. You can tell by the frame rate being a bit slower.

Jed Williamson February 15th, 2005 09:04 PM

Here is a website that lists many DV shot movies & which camera was used:

www.nextwavefilms.com/ulbp/bullfront.html

Unfortunately they stopped updating it 5/02.

Tadpole used Pal version Pd150s. They say so on www.indigent.net (The production company)

Open water used NTSC 60i;

www.moviemaker.com/hop/vol4/04/digital.html

Bamboozled shot in pal:

www.popmatters.com/film/interviews/lee-spike.html

Shannon Rawls February 16th, 2005 12:11 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jed Williamson :
Bamboozled shot in pal:

www.popmatters.com/film/interviews/lee-spike.html -->>>

I stand corrected.

- Shannon W. Rawls

Richard Alvarez February 16th, 2005 07:53 AM

As I recall, there is an excellent discussion of the process on the directors commentary of TADPOLE. All of the shortcuts, and shortcomings of the process. The extraordinary money that had to be spent to make it 'look good'. It's a good study.

Rob Lohman February 16th, 2005 07:56 AM

I think some things are being mixed up. Usually it is called 30p and
60i. As in 30 frames per second and 60 fields per second (which
is 30 frames per second with a time difference between the two
halves). There is only one HDV camera that can do 60 frames per
second, everything else records at 30 frames per second in either
interlaced (60i) or progressive (30p)

Imran Zaidi February 16th, 2005 08:06 AM

It's also interesting that at some point Indigent made a switch and all its latest films have all been shot with DVXs. Including, I believe, the one that showed at Sundance this year by Steve Buscemi, Lonesome Jim. And of course last year's cinematography winner November.

I looked at the indigent site, and it appears in some cases they're using PAL DVXs at 25p.

Dave Ferdinand February 16th, 2005 01:47 PM

I'm curious about Tadpole, but Open Water looks just like a cheap version of Jaws.

Richard Alvarez February 16th, 2005 02:45 PM

Tadpole is worth a look. Watch the movie straight through, then with the directors commentary. They really explain what problems they had with each scene, how they did a workaround... it's a film course for guerrilla filmmaking in DV.

(And if I am not mistaken, it might just be John Ritters last film??)

Michael Struthers February 23rd, 2005 04:01 PM

"Cheap Version of Jaws" = major bucks, my friend.

Either you have a gimmick, or you have 20 million in star power working for cheap "Tadpole". That's the only way to get a minidv movie distributed anymore. Better to shoot film, if you are swinging for the fence.