FILMMAKER RESOURCE THREAD - please contribute - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old April 23rd, 2005, 03:11 PM   #16
Inner Circle

NOrthern California, San Francisco and the Penninsula resouces.

Bay Area Video Coalition www.bavc.org

Film Arts Foundation www.filmarts.org

Both excellent sources. Filmarts for equipment rental, BAVC for classes and post finishing. Both have 'job forums' with some cross-posting, but not always. Divided into paying and non-paying gigs. Good stuff
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 04:01 PM   #17
MPS Digital Studios

I know I sounded a little cynical, but BE CAREFUL out there!

A local resource for South Florida filmmakers: www.palmbeachfilmschool.com

I know, I work there, but we're helping to cultivate local filmmakers and the free lifetime use of gear is GREAT, upon graduation.

heath
Old May 31st, 2005, 12:15 PM   #18
Major Player

Ran across this site through a series of links out of www.Homebuiltstabilizers.com:

Click here for Behind The Scenes
Old July 21st, 2005, 01:06 AM   #19
Wrangler

Software for basic storyboarding / pre-vis

Software for basic storyboarding / pre-vis.
Runs on Mac and PC.
Starter version is free!

http://www.directorsnotebook.com/
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 12:01 PM   #20
Major Player

I can't believe no one has mentioned IFP.
http://www.ifp.org/
Becoming a member has REAL benefits.
Both Coasts and in between as well.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2005, 07:37 PM   #21
Wrangler

Hollywood Camera Work (6 DVD set)

Hollywood Camera Work (6 DVD set) This is a very good DVD course on narrative camera work. Excellent for thinking and visualizing what the camera is "saying" and doing. The content is densely packed, so expect repeated viewings to catch all the details.

Highly recommended. Here are some sample clips to get a feel for the DVDs.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 01:19 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez
NOrthern California, San Francisco and the Penninsula resouces.

Bay Area Video Coalition www.bavc.org

Film Arts Foundation www.filmarts.org

Both excellent sources. Filmarts for equipment rental, BAVC for classes and post finishing. Both have 'job forums' with some cross-posting, but not always. Divided into paying and non-paying gigs. Good stuff

hello,

i wonder if somebody could share their expirience with BAVC in san francisco.
since i have my canon, i learned, that i have to learn.!

the web site looks interesting, and this company is also in driving range.

thanks for your input.

greetings
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 08:30 AM   #23
MPS Digital Studios

Just wrapped a 3-day short horror film shoot, written and directed by one of my former students, Lance Stranahan, which I produced. Jon Fordham was the DP, and we had a full crew, many from the school I teach at. Footage looks great, and everyone busted their butts to help Lance realize his vision.

We shot on the Z1, provided by Jim York of the Palm Beach Film School, and we had a full grip and electric to get the lighting just right. Boris CiFuentes, our gaffer, along with Matt Miller (our 1st AC) worked hard with Jon to get things right. Also, big thanks to the entire crew and cast, the owner of the house we shot in, the Film School, and everyone else for all their hard work. Oh, and Pro Video Sales were kind enough to allow use of their matte box and follow focus.

I believe Jon will write a review of the shoot, along with thoughts on the Z1, when he gets a chance.

heath
Old December 16th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #24
Capt. Quirk

I love classic movies of all sorts, and Turner Classic Moviess channel if one that I watch regularly. Tonight the have a Danny Kaye block on, so I'm there. In between movies, they start talking abiut the elements of all the classic films, from lighting and music, to directors. They also have an online curriculum that discuss all of these elments, at http://www.storyofmovies.org/
Old January 5th, 2006, 11:12 AM   #25
Regular Crew

http://www.cinematography.com Great resource for DPs
Alexandre Lucena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 12:41 PM   #26
Major Player

www.celtx.com free scriptwriting and more software - very cool with a collaboration feature that lets you upload it to a server and work on it from anywhere and share it with others you choose (i.e. attach photos, notes and more and share with say producers, DPs, other writers, crew, cast, etc)
Jeremy Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 10:15 AM   #27
Inner Circle

The Ultimate Aid for the Indie Film Maker!

Hey everyone,

I attended an Indie Film club meeting Thursday night in West Palm Beach, Florida. The meeting was held at G-Star Studios, and this place and its people are great!

G-Star is a magnet high school, with over 500 students, and it will increase to a maximum of 700 next year. It is the largest school of its kind in the country. They have a full movie and television production studios on the grounds, with eight buildings, 84,000 sq. ft. under roof on 12 acres.

The school was the brain child of founder Greg Hauptner and with its great success came donations and support that enabled them to buy the school and property from the Palm Beach County school district. They have had at least 6 feature films shot there since their opening and others are scheduled.

Let me give you just a few reasons to visit their site and or make an appointment for a free tour, besides the beautiful Southern Florida weather!

My top five reasons to consider them!

5. They have full facilities, to include set construction, machine shop, commissary, full editing studios with Avid, FCP, Premiere, etc., and T-1 lines in all buildings. They are a non-profit organization, and those donating get tax write offs. At a recent shoot, a production company needed a high-rise building location, and the owner wanted $11,000 for the use of the building. The school got the owner to donate its use for a tax deduction and so it cost the production company nothing, free!

4. They have agreements in place so that you can mix SAG actors with non-SAG actors, for crowd scenes etc., and many award winning students to draw actors and other help from.

3. You have a great selection of other locations near the studio, and one-stop permitting for films etc., with support by local, regional and State politicians, Congressmen, school officials and business organizations.

2. You need only your normal insurance, as they carry full production insurance at all times.

1. And #1----IT IS ALL FREE, NO CHARGE! You pay only for electricity, phone usage, housekeeping and trash pickup. There is no additional cost.

Additionally, you don't have to be shooting a big movie to use the school, any project is welcome. Visit the website for additional information, but if this isn’t the ultimate tool for the Indie Filmmaker, then I don’t know what is.

Mike

http://www.gstarschool.org/motionpicture.asp
Old February 18th, 2006, 10:20 AM   #28
MPS Digital Studios

You have to either allow G-Star's high school students onto the set or lecture. It's a win-win.

G-Star is the kind of school I wish was around in 1990, when I entered into high school. One of the teachers there teaches sound at the Palm Beach Film School, where I am lead instructor.

South Florida's film industry is growing, and schools like G-Star and the Palm Beach Film School are helping to train the filmmakers who will give us great art.

heath
Old March 17th, 2006, 03:32 PM   #29
Wrangler

UCB Theatre - Upright Citizen's Brigade Theatre

A great place to cut your teeth on live, on-the-fly story telling and sketch comedy. Watch a few of the shows or take some classes. Checkout ASSSSCat Sunday nights in NYC, and you may see a few SNL people joining in on the fun.

It's a great way to immerse yourself in the art of the storytelling.
Old April 1st, 2006, 05:18 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Ideas on how to design a steadicam shot

Be inspired to use stabilizers and bring some new flavours
to your shots.

www.steadishots.org

Alexandre Lucena
Alexandre Lucena is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production