Show "24" what DV cameras were used? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old March 8th, 2005, 12:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Show "24" what DV cameras were used?

I was watching 24 the other day on FOX and was wondering if they may be using XL2's or Panasonics or smething. Does anyone know?
Forbes Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 02:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I'm fairly sure they use video. In CTU, look at the floor which are being hit by strong lights. Also look at the doors and backlit outdoor scenes. Look carefully at the highlights- they exhibit color shifting, which is characteristic of video.

(I only watched season 2, and am staying away from the others because 24 is addictive.)

If it was shot video, chances are it was shot highdef.

---
Ok, just did some research. I think they shot on film. It looks like I'm pretty wrong (heh).

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/article...odneycharters/

"Lights, Cameras...Action!
For years, Rodney used Polaroid to give him an idea of how the lighting would look once it was finally exposed on film. But not anymore. “Now I’ve gone over to using a digital camera because they’ve finally become both affordable and the quality has improved, at least a four megapixel lens with an aperture which is the same as what we’re using on our motion picture film camera lenses—F2,” he says. "

ASC article:
http://www.theasc.com/magazine/feb04/cover/index.html
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 03:24 AM   #3
New Boot

I just took a look in my old copy of American Cinematographer that you listed. It says they shoot 35mm with Panaflex Millenium XL cameras.
Josh Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 06:05 AM   #4
Trustee

Hehe!

It's also worth noting that modern high end video cameras have a circuit that stops the colour shift in highlights.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 06:14 AM   #5
Major Player

Yes, 24 is definitely shot on 35mm film.

They did have an Xl1/2 in the shot once... they had were using it on a stake-out.
Old March 8th, 2005, 08:31 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Hehe!

It's also worth noting that modern high end video cameras have a circuit that stops the colour shift in highlights.
Would you have any links to websites that describe this circuit?
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 08:48 AM   #7
Trustee

Not off hand, but I know my camera has a setting that can be turned on to avoid the problem. It can also be adjusted to a large degree although I generally don't want to touch that for fear of messing it up!
Old March 8th, 2005, 08:54 AM   #8
Trustee

It's called the Knee Saturation adjustment.
Old March 12th, 2005, 01:29 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Lordy, I'm a 24 freak as well... but I rent 'em every winter on DVD. I simply cannot keep up with a TV series. (I'm a cyclist & manage about 2000 miles every summer; 24 is GREAT for watching on the trainer. Really keeps you pumping!)

"Arrested Development" is shot digital; IMHO, about the finest & funniest TV comedy in years, though a bit off the wall for some. The "making-of" doc on the 1st season DVD is interesting; some info on using multiple digital video, handheld, to keep the schedule moving and give it a subtle "documentary" sense. They allow a lot of ad-libbing by the characters & like digital for that as well. I assume a more fast-moving environment helps with that. (if you hate sitcoms but love a good comedy, rent a DVD & see what you think. I feel it's brilliant stuff).
Michael Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 02:25 PM   #10
Major Player

I think they did use a DVX but it was a prop. As a CTI crew filmed some locations that terrorist were using.
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production