A Question about shooting serials and dubbing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old March 9th, 2005, 03:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

A Question about shooting serials and dubbing

I just had a discussion with one of my friends the other day about the following, now if we were planning on producing a big-time television historical serial, would we actually need to redub every single conversation that was made and recorded while shooting the serial?

Meaning the recording of the characters conversations using a boom-mic and other types of mics won't be enough? We need to go later on into a recording studio to redub the entire thing again!! For me that sounds like too much work, but in order to produce the serial do we actually need to do that??

We are going to shoot on Digital Betacam by the way.

Cheers...
Hamad Abdulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 05:48 PM   #2
Major Player

God no! As long as your production audio is good...has good levels and is clean...then no ADR is needed.

Where did you get the idea that all the audio was replaced by ADR after the fact? it is rarely done...and only done if a section of audio is inaudible, garbled, or somehow difficult to understand.

In CONFESSIONS OF A DANGEROUS MIND, George Clooney had moving sets designed to be completely silent so that when they moved it wasn't picked up while the actor was talking. He HATES ADR (as do I). The actor's performance is what you are aiming for...and their emotions come best while they are acting...not speaking into a microphone in a sound booth.

Your friend has a misunderstanding about TV production and post.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 12:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot Shane for the info, its a relief that we don't have to go through all that process of redubbing, what a relief!!!
Hamad Abdulla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production