gl2 short film settings and dof at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old March 30th, 2005, 12:36 AM   #1
Major Player

gl2 short film settings and dof

i recently got a gl2 and i'm about to start on a short film so i just wanted to ask you vets what the best settings are on the gl2 to get the best looking picture in a film sort of way. also how do i reduce the dof of the gl2 so the background blurry while the foreground is sharp? i'm sorry if these posts have been done to death but i dont really see any right now and maybe there are some some fresh ideas since the last time this question was posed.

also anyone interested in buying an essentially brand new panasonic dvc30 check the classifieds i'm selling one.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 12:59 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

It's such a common subject that we have an entire section of the forum devoted to it, and to kindred topics. I've moved your post here for better topical exposure.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 02:09 AM   #3
Major Player

thanks a lot, sorry for posting in the wrong place
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 02:34 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

No apology needed. We have quite a growing inventory of sections with -creative- names. It can be hard to determine where to park.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 09:11 PM   #5
New Boot

Depth of field is one of the biggest problems with video for those who want it to look like film (like myself).

The closer to telephoto you are with the zoom, the shallower the depth of field.

The closer you are to your subject, the shallower the depth of field.

The higher the f-stop (highest is 1.6), the shallower the depth of field.

I've gotten the best results with zoom. I was able to get the depth of field down to about 4-inches at full zoom. But when are you really going to be that far away from your subject?

Best solution: use the custom preset to take the gain, sharpness, and setup (aka black) level down significantly lower (adjust as you please).

Then light the scene well (at least 3-point lighting: key, fill, and back). Buy 200-300watt replacements for anything you want to shoot under "normal" conditions indoors. Get as far away from your subject and zoom in. Use a tripod.

It's your best bet with the GL2. It doesn't get a whole lot easier even with more expensive cameras.
Mark OBrien is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production